12. Two cases, divided attention

A/N: This chapter will have a lot of POV changes so Bold writing = Case 1 - The singular unsub. Normal writing = Case 2 - Liberty Ranch.

It was 2:35 in the morning when Penelope woke up to a case notification. She grabbed her tablet and read the file she was given, messaging Emily while she read. By 3:15 AM, Y/N and Penelope were walking into the BAU bullpen, ready for the case.

"Where're we heading?" Matt asked as he sat down, joining everyone at the table.

"To Miami. Unfortunately, we are dealing with an unsub who has a lot of rage toward women." Penelope exhaled.

"Over the past 2 weeks, 3 women in their 30s have been found murdered in alleyways around Miami. Miami P.D. haven't found a connection to the locations as to where the women were found." Penelope told as she put the images of the women up on the screen behind her.

"Any signs of sexual assault?" Rossi looked at Penelope, who shook her head.

"Weirdly no. But, something else was assaulted...if you will." Penelope turned away from the screen.

"Their hearts..." Luke furrowed his eyebrows.

"Exactly right, newbie. Each of their hearts have been sliced open, but left in their bodies. Not a sight for anyone whose squeamish." Penelope tried not to gag.

Emily pulled out her phone, seeing Linda Barnes' name on her phone. Curious, she left the conference room. 2 minutes later, she returned, everyone looking up at her with confusion.

"What's happening?" JJ asked, putting down her file.

"Linda Barnes just called. Penelope has just been sent a recording of a 9-1-1 call." Emily gestured to Penelope, who typed away at her laptop.

"He comes into my bedroom and lays with me. He says it's God's will. I'm only 15. And I'm not the only one. Please help me!" A female voice insisted before the line went dead.

"Barnes believed the 'he' that they referred to is the church's leader, Benjamin Cyrus." Emily explained.

"Benjamin Cyrus...no criminal record. No record at all, really." Penelope shook her head.

"What else does she know about him?" Matt asked.

"It's rumored that he's practicing polygamy and forced marriages." Emily nodded.

"Any idea who the caller is?" Spencer furrowed his eyebrows.

"Uh, Jessica Evanson is the one who the age fits, but...she can't be sure." Emily exhaled.

"So...what's the plan? We've got two cases, but only 8 of us." JJ noted.

"Barnes informed me that Sam Cooper and his team will be heading to Miami. They'll take charge on that case. As for us, we're splitting up. Luke, Tara and Matt, you three will head to Miami to help Sam Cooper and his team. JJ, you, Rossi and I will be dealing with the Liberty Ranch situation." Emily nodded.

"What about me and Reid?" Y/N furrowed her eyebrows.

"You and Reid will be going undercover with a child service worker , Nancy Lunde. You two will be posing as Child Victim Interview Experts, simply 'investigating the alleged child abuse'." Emily informed the two, who nodded.

"The 'Miami' half of this team, you're gonna leave in 20 minutes. It's a long 15 hour drive. Use the time to learn the case. The rest of us, wheels up in 30." Emily told.

———

2 days had passed since the BAU team was split up.

The Miami team had a solid profile, which they had just released to the police, as well as to Penelope, who kept researching.