8. A life that could've been

Y/N hated being a professor - correction, she hated being forced to be a professor. It sucked that she had been doing this job with Spencer for 3 months. The only bearable part of this job was seeing Spencer every day. She always found that the overwhelming feeling to just leave the job disappeared when she remembered that Spencer worked with her. It was also clear that Spencer was much more suited to being a professor.

"Okay, let's take a moment now to discuss the difference between a trigger and a stressor. Professor Hotchner." Spencer gestured to Y/N, who spoke up.

"A trigger is a sensory event experienced by an offender that precipitates subsequent behavior, whereas a stressor is a longer-term pattern of behavior or circumstances which push a person into behaving differently than they normally would." Y/N told, barely anyone writing down the information.

"You're probably gonna want to write this down. I shouldn't be telling you guys this, but we're definitely putting this on the final." Spencer explained as Y/N leaned against the desk behind her.

"I'm only auditing this class." A girl spoke up.

"Is anyone else auditing this class?" Spencer asked. More than 50% of the students - mostly girls - put their hands up.

"Okay. Unfortunately, that is all the time we have for today. Thank you, guys." Spencer exhaled, looking disappointed. He watched as everyone left the lecture hall.

"That could've gone better." Spencer exhaled as he put his books away.

"Yeah. Half of the class - all the girls - were admiring the hot professor teaching the class they were auditing. The other half...I don't know." Y/N shrugged her shoulders.

"The other half, all the guys, were eyeing the other - cute - professor." Spencer smiled.

"Don't let my husband catch you calling me cute." Y/N joked, trying to keep up the façade that she and Aaron were happy.

In reality, since Barnes' official ruling, Y/N would be home by 5 PM every night. She'd be home for dinner and say goodnight to the kids before leaving the house to head to Penelope's. One thing she noticed was Aaron had seemed a lot happier since she started coming home earlier. He was eager to talk to her, to find out how her day was. He wasn't hostile. Y/N thought that maybe he had gotten over himself, maybe he realised that he was acting childish. But then she realised that once Barnes' ruling was over, whether by her hand or not, Y/N would return to the BAU and Aaron would go back to hating her.

"I seriously don't know how much more I can take of this. You? You're amazing when it comes to teaching. I swear, if you hadn't joined the FBI, you'd be the perfect professor." Y/N chuckled as she and Spencer left the lecture hall, heading to a café for lunch.

"And what about you?" Spencer asked.

"I'd enjoy being a professor more if I wasn't here by force." Y/N exhaled, rolling her eyes at the thought of Barnes.

"At least you're home earlier now. More time to spend with Hotch and your kids." Spencer smiled.

"I guess." Y/N nodded. On one hand, she wanted to admit everything that had happened between her and Aaron, but she couldn't. Not without getting upset.

"I just...I wonder how everyone else is doing. It's not every day the FBI's most famous unit has its members being reassigned and let go." Y/N exhaled.

"Y'know, I'm not one to swear...but Barnes is a bitch." Spencer noted.

"Wow! Spencer's bringing out the big boy words!" Y/N laughed.

"Ha, ha. Very funny." Spencer rolled his eyes.

"I do agree with you, though. Barnes is a bitch, and I can't wait for the day when we get to return to the BAU." Y/N admitted.

"That day won't be coming for a while, I'm afraid. But, won't you miss going home earlier?" Spencer asked.

"Not really. I've spent so many years falling asleep and waking up at all hours of the day that I'm not really...affected by it anymore." Y/N shook her head.

Just then, Y/N's phone went off. She answered the call and put it on speaker.

"JJ? What's up?" Y/N asked.

"We need to talk." JJ spoke.

"Where are we meeting?" Spencer asked.

"At Emily's, in 30." JJ exhaled.

"Okay. We'll see you in 30." Y/N confirmed here ending the call.

"Lucky for us, we haven't got any more classes today." Spencer smiled before he and Y/N headed straight to Emily's place.