13. Worried kids, angry husband

Y/N once again woke up to the bright lights within her hospital room. As she had for the past week, she woke up to the smell of a coffee on her bedside table, provided by Penelope.

"I love you, Penelope Garcia." Y/N smiled as she sipped her coffee.

"I love you too, Y/N." She chuckled. She went to leave to get food, but she stopped and turned around, quickly walking back toward Y/N.

"I'm sorry." She frowned.

"For...what?" Y/N furrowed her eyebrows.

"Mom!" Jack's voice echoed throughout Y/N's hospital room. She watched with a smile as Jack and Avery ran toward her. Her smile faded a bit when she saw Aaron holding Toby in his arms, the small child asleep with a pacifier in his mouth.

"Hi, I'm okay. I'm okay." Y/N insisted as her two children gave her big hugs.

"Penelope, would you mind taking Toby, Avery and Jack to get some food?" Aaron asked. Penelope nodded, now holding a sleeping Toby in her arms while Avery and Jack walked in front of her.

"I'm okay, Aaron." Y/N exhaled, knowing she wouldn't be hearing the end of his worries.

"You're okay? Y/N, you have bruises and cuts on your face, you have a black eye and dried blood on your nose. I also heard from JJ that you have a few large bruises on your ribs and abdomen. That doesn't sound 'okay' to me. It also doesn't sound okay, considering you almost got blown up. You almost died." Aaron scoffed.

"How'd you find out I was here?" Y/N asked, confused.

"I saw the news reports and I knew that the Liberty Ranch case would be a BAU case. When I saw the raid...and then the explosion, I panicked. My panic was confirmed when JJ called me. She figured your husband should know that you're in the hospital." Aaron glared at Y/N.

"Aaron, not once have I said you're not my husband. I haven't asked for divorce and we're not separated. We're simply taking a small break. And, to reiterate, I'm still breathing, so I'm okay." Y/N shook her head.

"Oh yeah, you and I not sleeping in the same bed for over 3 months is a 'small break'. Not seeing your kids every morning or every night is a 'small break'. Us being angry at each other and not talking to each other is a 'small break'." Aaron argued.

"I'm not doing this with you. Not here. You fucked up by not saying a goddamn word to me. You fucked up by hiding your feelings instead of talking like an adult. Our 'small break' is your fault." Y/N spoke quietly, trying to keep herself from crying.

"Fine. When are you coming home? The kids miss you. It feels weird not having you home." Aaron asked.

"I'll come home when 1. I feel like I won't cry or break down every time I see you, and 2. you stop resenting me for continuing my job at the BAU. If one...or both of those factors cease, I will come home." Y/N explained, crossing her arms.

"Now, Penelope is gonna be back with our kids any minute and I'd rather not let any of them see you and I being hostile toward each other." Y/N warned, watching as Aaron nodded, agreeing.

"How much does Penelope know?" Aaron glared at her.

"Basically everything." Y/N rolled her eyes.

"You know, the team's gonna find out soon because you told Penelope." Aaron warned.

"How dare you! Sure, she's a bit loose lipped when it comes to secrets, but she's managed to hold out for over 3 months, so I'd say she's more than trustworthy. The only other person who knows is Emily. That's probably why JJ called you. She and the others don't know about our issues and that's thanks to Penelope." Y/N clenched her jaw, unable to hide the fact that she didn't like Aaron's hostility toward Penelope.

"We have returned! With food!" Penelope's bright attitude lifted the spirit of the room, making Y/N smile. She watched as Avery and Jack climbed onto the bed to eat with Y/N, while Toby was placed in her arms. It was clear that Toby had been fed, considering he was once again asleep.

"Hey, Hotch? The team are on the way and I'm sure they'd like to see you." Penelope basically gestured for Hotch to leave the room, subtly feeling the hostility in the room before she entered.

"Are you okay?" Penelope asked once Hotch was out of earshot.

"He knows how I feel." Y/N nodded before she exhaled.