6. Worse than Strauss?

Erin Strauss was persistent. No one could deny that. Her first act against the BAU was through Emily. She wanted the BAU out from under the leadership of Aaron Hotchner.

"I put you in the BAU. I knew how badly you wanted it. Everyone did. You were never exactly shy about letting us know." Strauss explained as Emily sat opposite her in her office.

"But there were those who didn't think assigning you to the BAU was a good idea. They thought you were too reckless. I believed in you, however. It's time to pay back the faith I had." Strauss exhaled.

"Your team is in trouble. They've lost sight of the big picture. I believe they are reckless and - at times - out of control. It's time for Agent Hotchner's career to come to an end. And if you want to stay in the BAU, Agent Prentiss, you're going to help me make that happen." Strauss eyed Emily, who nodded.

Then Gideon left without warning and Strauss was even more determined to get Aaron away from the BAU.

Time and time again, Strauss used every chance she had to either remove Aaron Hotchner from his position as Unit Chief of the BAU, or take the team apart all together. Her determination earned her a lot of dislike from the team, but over the years, Strauss became more likeable, and the team - more specifically Derek - helped her get control over her drinking. The team found it unfair that 1. her life was taken away too soon, and 2. in her final hour of life, she was forced to give up her sobriety.

Now, with Aaron retired from his job and Strauss no longer alive, the team believed they were finally able to do their jobs without someone higher-up judging them, or wanting to tear them apart.

Unfortunately, that belief ended in JJ's head when she received a rather odd email from Linda Barnes.

Y/N walked through the bullpen, intending to head home so she could spend some time with Toby and Avery before heading back to Penelope's place. As she walked by JJ's desk, she watched as JJ clicked out of her email, rolling her eyes.

"You ready to go?" Y/N asked.

"You okay?" Y/N asked again. When JJ didn't answer, Y/N tapped her shoulder, watching as JJ jumped.

"Sorry?" JJ looked up at Y/N.

"Everything okay?" Y/N smiled.

"Yeah. Yeah, it's just, um...you know Linda Barnes, the Bureau's Assistant director of National Security?" JJ asked, standing up.

Y/N nodded, walking with JJ toward the elevator.

"Well, she says she needs to set up a meeting with me, preferably the day after tomorrow." JJ exhaled.

"And?" Y/N furrowed her eyebrows. Before JJ could answer Y/N, they both turned around to see Penelope practically running - in her very high heels - toward them.

"Hey guys, I know you were inches from a clean getaway tonight, but I just got a call from D.C. Metro Police. They need our advice on an active homicide scene." Penelope quickly stopped Y/N and JJ from entering the elevator.

———

As soon as the team got back to the BAU office from the case, JJ got an email from Barnes, insisting that she and JJ have a meeting ASAP. That meant that instead of going home, JJ was going up to Barnes' office.

"Good evening, Agent Jareau." Barnes met JJ outside her office.

"Assistant director Barnes." JJ smiled, trying to remain calm.

"I'm sorry for the sudden urgency in having to meet tonight. However, effectively immediately, SSA Emily Prentiss will be placed on administrative leave, pending an internal review. This means you'll be the acting Unit Chief of the BAU." Barnes explained.