Chapter 4

I looked at the paper with the date. "That was a few months ago," I mumbled. "Another one in December 'oh-four, 'oh-three, 'ninety-eight, 'ninety-two, ten of them over the past twenty years," Dean explained, taking the papers back from Sam and putting them back into a folder he had. "All Men, all the same five-mile stretch of road," Dean said while he took a bag out of the arsenal. "It started happening increasingly, so Dad went to dig around. That was three weeks ago. I hadn't heard from him since, which is bad enough." Dean continued taking out a recorder. "Then I got this voicemail yesterday," Dean said, pressing a button on the recorder, and out came a static; when I stepped closer, I heard that the connection was loose. "Dean...something big is starting to happen...I need to try and figure out what's going on. It may... Be very careful, Dean. We're all in danger." I heard Dad's static voice on the recording. "You know there's EVP on that?" Sam asked. "Not bad, Sammy. Kinda like riding a bike, isn't it?"

Dean asked with a shrug of his shoulder. I saw Sam shaking his head in annoyance out of the corner of my eye. "All right. I slowed the message down, ran it through a gold wave, took out the hiss, and this is what I got." Dean said while pushing a few buttons on the recorder. Something came out again. It was a faded voice; I leaned forward, listening better. "I can never go home." a female voice said. "Huh, was it just me, or was that a woman?" I asked Dean, who shrugged his shoulder. "That's what I want to find out," Dean told me while he closed the trunk. "You know, in the last two years, I never bothered you, never asked you for a thing." Dean started, but Sam interrupted him. "All right, I'll go with you. I'll help you find  him." Dean gave him a nod before looking over at me. "What about you, little Sister?" he asked. "I'm the same age, shithead," I narrowed my eyes together for a second but smiled for a second. "I'm gonna sit this one out, Dean, but if you need help, I'm always a phone call away." Dean looked a little bit disappointed but gave me a slight nod. "Alright, we will be back soon." Sam and I returned upstairs after Dean assured him we would return for Sam's interview on Monday. Sam packed a bag while I stayed at the door with Dean. "You sure you wanna stay here?" Dean asked while I was deep in my thoughts. "Yeah, You and Sam are going to be okay. I'm sure you'll find Dad." I gave Dean a light smile. Sam moved past me with Jess behind him. "Take care, boys, be careful," I said, waving them goodbye as they walked down the stairs while I watched from the door with Jess beside me. "You know where they're going?" she asked, but I couldn't tell her, so I just shrugged. "Im not sure, Jess, don't worry, hell be back." I walked past her into my room, sitting on my bed, trying to get more stuff for my exam into my head. The next day, I went to the library and back home to Jess, who joined me in my room for a while but soon met up with some friends, so I stayed alone in the apartment. A while later, I went out and got food at one of my favourite restaurants. I had my stuff with me, and when I got back close to the apartment, I saw many people standing around. "What happened?"  I asked. "There was a fire in the upper apartment." A kind lady told me. "Shit." I tried to get through the tape, but a firefighter stopped me. "I live up there," I yelled at him. He freed me out of his grip and walked closer but stopped again. "You can't go in there, Miss. It's too dangerous." another bit older firefighter said. "All my shit is up there." I snapped. I hissed in the deepest corner of my body and turned around, heading back to where my car was, when I noticed my brother's car with the trunk open. I threw my backpack into my car and walked over to where the Impala was standing. "Hey Boys."

I leaned against the side of the car when I noticed the tears in Sams's eyes; just then, I realized what was going on; without saying anything, I walked up to him and just hugged him as long as he allowed me, sniffing up more tears standing on my tiptoes reaching his shoulder. Dean and I chatted about what had happened. He also showed me Dad's journal he got. "Shit, that's crazy," I said, flipping through the pages. "So you solved the case?" I asked, and he nodded. "Yeah, it was a woman in white," Dean said. "A what?" I looked confused since I never heard of that. "What are we gonna do now?" I asked my older brother. "We have work to do," Sam said behind us, throwing something into the trunk. I got up, and Sam slammed the trunk shut. "Where are we heading?" I asked Sam if he wanted to stay and get some more info on Jessica's death, so we separated. I went to look alone but couldn't find any clue about where Dad was and how I could reach him.

Being in Minnesota for a few days, I got a call from Dean. "You found Dad?" I asked, answering my phone. "Hey, erm, no," Dean replied. "We're heading to Colorado now and might need your help." Dean continued. "Alright, I'll meet you there. Text me the address." I mumbled and hung up. I left the dining door and went to my car, where I felt most secure over the past few days. During the drive-through of Nebraska and South Dakota, I listened to some music but was mostly in my thoughts while looking outside my front window while the streets passed by.