Chapter 11

I thought about what Dad taught us. "Just how Dad does it," I added. Dean and Sam looked over at me. Sam and Dean went inside the Post Office while I waited outside. We sat out in the Impala with the letter close to dark. We waited until we decided to check the letter for nobody else in the case. "J.W You think? John Winchester?" Sam asked, staring at the letter in Deans's Hand when somebody knocked on the driver's window. It scared me a lot. "Holy Shit, Dad scared the crap out of me." I breathed deeply, relaxing my breath when Dad opened the back door and slid into the seat next to me.

"Dad, what are you doing here? Are you alright?" Sam asked, worried. "Yeah, I'm okay. I read the news about Daniel, and I got here as fast as possible. I saw you three at his place." Dad said beside me. "Why didn't you come inside?" I asked. "Because whoever killed Daniel is out there and probably seen you guys in the cabin. Plus, I didn't want anyone following you." I looked over to my brothers. Dean looked happy with himself. "Yeah, well, we learned from the best." Dean gave a light shrug with one shoulder. "Wait, you came here for this Elkins guy?" Sam asked. "Yeah, he... He was a good man. He taught me a hell of a lot about hunting." Dad told us. "Well, you never mentioned to any of us," I said. "We had a... we had kind of a falling out. I hadn't seen him in years." Dad said with a pause, gesturing towards the envelope. "I should look at that." Dad took the letter from Dean and opened it, reading it loudly. "If you're reading this, im already dead."

Dad read. I also tried to read it, but Dad folded the paper, making it impossible for me to read. "That Son of a Bitch." Dad grumbled. "What is it?" Dean and I asked at the same time. "He had it the whole time." Dad kept reading the letter. "What? What did he have the whole time?" I asked, trying to peak at the letter. "When you searched the place, did you see a gun? An antique revolver, did you see it?" Dad asked all three of us. "There was an old case, but it was empty," Dean replied. "They have it," Dad muttered under his breath. "You mean whatever killed Elkins?" Dean asked. Dad looked out of the window. "We gotta pick up their trail," Dad muttered. I still didn't know what we were looking for. "What, Dad? What are we looking for?" I asked. "Wait, you want us to come with us?" Sam asked. I was surprised that Dad wanted to involve us in the hunt for this gun. "If Elkins was telling the truth, we gotta find the gun," Dad said. I was convinced that this was dangerous. "The Gun, why?" Sam asked. "Because it's important, that's why." I scoffed and already knew Dad was keeping something from us. "Dad, we don't know what these things are yet."

Sam and I talked out loud about what I had already said. "They were what Daniel Elkins killed best: Vampires," Dad said, sure Vamps were behind Elkins. "Are you certain that it was Vamps?" I asked, curious. "Yeah, 100%." Dad nodded. "You never mentioned them, Dad," Sam said. I got even more curious about what made Dad never tell either Dean or me about Elkins and the Vamps the last time we were together. "I thought they were extinct. I thought Elkins and other hunters whipped them out, but I was wrong." Dad told us about the vampires and what their nest was like. We knew they were trouble.

Dad, my brothers and I returned to the Motel. Sam and Dean threw themself on the beds while I took the super uncomfortable couch. "Kaylee, hon, wake up." Dad woke me up. I opened my eyes groggy. "What happened, Dad?" I asked while Dad woke up the boys, who were more sleepy than me. "I picked up a police call," Dad told us as we were half awake. "What happened?" Sam and I asked at the same time. "A couple called 911 and found a body in the street. Cops got there. Everybody was missing. It's the vampires." Dad told us while I threw my hoodie over my shirt.

"How do you know?" Sam asked while he got up from the bed. "Just follow me, okay?" Dad left the room while talking, so we followed him out and into the cars. Hearing Dean mumbling something from the bed quickly followed us while I waited near my vehicle. "Nice wheels, kiddo." Dad smiled. "Thanks, Pop." I smiled back while we waited for Dean to get his butt out of the Motel finally. "Finally, sleeping beauty made it." I giggled, seeing my brother walking over to the Impala. "Blow me, Sis," Dean grumbled, giving me a stinky side-eye. "Love you too." I smiled and closed my door, starting my engine. Every time I heard the motor purring like a kitten, it was music to my ears. We drove to the crime scene while Sam, Dean and I waited, leaning against the Impala while the other two cars were behind us. Dad was still talking to the cops but soon was finished and walked over to where we were. "I don't see why we couldn't have gone over with you." Sam was sulking a little bit. I could hear it in his voice. "Sam," I said, but Dean was faster than me. "Oh, don't tell me it's already starting," Dean grumbled. "What's starting," Sam asked back. I rolled my eyes. Dean ignored me, turning to Dad. "What have you got?" he asked while I nudged Sam to behave. He scoffed, only me hearing it, side-eying me. "It was them all right. Looks like they're heading west. We'll have to double back to get around that detour." Dad said, walking over towards his Truck. "How can you be sure?" Sam asked, questioning Dad. "Sam." Dean and I said at the same time.