Baking With The Cons

Today you felt like baking something since it had been too cold outside recently and you didn't want to get sick so you stayed indoors. But you sometimes felt lonely baking alone so you asked the cons to come over and bake with you. As long as they don't try to burn your house down with a fire like the time they learned to cook..

You went to the store quickly and got the stuff needed for what you were gonna make today, which was a dessert called Flan. It was pretty easy to make so that's what you decided on, hoping it wouldn't be too difficult for them to learn.  When the cons came over to your house you explained to them what was going on today.

"We're gonna be baking?" Clampdown asked as he stared at all the stuff that was on the table. You then started preparing everything. "Correct. And because you guys nearly burned my entire kitchen last time we're gonna do something simple. We are going to make Flan." 

"What's Flan?" Steeljaw asked. You got out your phone and showed them a picture. "It's a creamy dessert that's really popular in spanish countries." You said. Underbite then took your phone and looked closer. "Is it crunchy?"  Of course that'd be his first question. He loves eating crunchy foods. You shook your head. "No it's not, but there are plenty of other desserts that are. We just won't be making them today." You told him. Nevertheless, he was still curious and so was everyone else. You thought it'd be safer if they all helped you make it one by one instead of having them all make their own, so each of them had an important task to do. 

"Alright so listen up. You're all going to take turns doing something so pay attention to the instructions I tell you. If you need help then I will step in, but I want you all to try this on your own." You explained. They all nodded and so you got out the ingredients and got started.

You didn't make Flan often but you did remember the steps on how to make it since your mother taught you the recipe. You set out the pan on the stove and got the sugar out.

"Steeljaw, you're up first." You said as you handed him the sugar. "I want you to pour this into the pan and melt it until it's a golden color. To do that you'll have to stir the sugar as it heats up." You explained. He did as you said and within a few seconds the sugar was already melting and he started stirring the pan.  Everyone admirably watched from a distance. "So, how long do I need to do this for?" He asked as he continued stirring the sugar around. "Not for long. Just wait until you start to see the golden brown. Then you'll know when it's done." 

After a bit more stirring the sugar finally started to change color and the first step of the recipe was done. You got out another pan and got out a set of gloves so you wouldn't burn yourself. You turned to Steeljaw and smiled. "You did a good job. I'll take it from here." You said as you carefully poured the melted liquid into the other pan. 

"Now we need to wait until it hardens a bit. So while that's happening we need to whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract, whole milk and sweet condensed milk. Anyone wanna volunteer?" You asked. It was quiet for a few seconds before Fracture decided to say something. "I'll do the honors." He said as he walked over and grabbed the eggs and started cracking them flawlessly. He then mixed all the other ingredients together and whisked them perfectly. You were shocked at how good he was at this for his first time learning.

"Wow Fracture, you're really good at this. Maybe better than me actually."

"I might've watched a few videos online. The activity seemed.. interesting." 

After Fracture was done whisking everything you told him to pour it into the pan so he did. The next step was to then fill the pan with water until it was halfway full then bake it for an hour and 15 minutes. You made sure to set it to the right temperature as well. For now you guys decided to play some games while waiting for it to be done.

An hour later

The flan was now done and now it had to cool off for a bit. Once that was done you were about to grab the pan when Thunderhoof put a hand on your shoulder. "I got this, wouldn't want ya to hurt yourself." You smiled at his kind gesture so you let him do the next step instead.

"Well there's actually not much to do left so just put it in the fridge and let it sit there. It needs to chill for about 4 hours before it's finally ready." 

"Yes ma'am." He took it carefully then placed it inside the fridge. Now to play the waiting game again. 

Another 4 hours later

You went into the kitchen to check on the tasty dessert and behold, it was now ready. You just had to cut it into several pieces so there was enough for everyone. But then you remembered, Underbite and Clampdown didn't get to do much but Clampdown was afraid of messing up again so he didn't want to do anything. You gave the knife to Underbite as everyone else walked in. 

"You wanna do the honors?"

"Gladly" He took the knife and cut the flan carefully into 8 pieces. The tasty dessert was finally ready to be served.

 The tasty dessert was finally ready to be served

All of them were surprised at how good it looked. They have never really had much sweets before so they couldn't wait to have a bite. You grabbed forks for everyone and gave each of them a piece and you all took a bite.

"Well, how is it?" You asked

"This is really good." Steeljaw said as he took another bite. "Agreed, I wouldn't mind making this again." Fracture added. You were happy knowing that the cons liked this dessert. And it already gave you several ideas on what to have them bake together next. You finished having your Flan and you cleaned up the kitchen to enjoy the rest of the afternoon with the crew.