⸻ SIX ⸻

Seven emails have gone out when I leave my apartment the morning after

Seven emails have gone out when I leave my apartment the morning after. And by the time I arrive at Kelex, I already have three replies telling me the time frame won't work for them. Even though it's possible, I can't see how I'll find a new place in three days.

I'm lost in my thoughts, on my way to the Troll's Lair, when a hand reaches for my arm. I jump a little, turning around to find a very serious-looking Oli. "Follow me," he says without another word.

Intrigued, I comply as he guides me to the stairs. "Where are you taking me?" I ask as we reach the upper floor.

"It's a surprise."

We walk up to a door, he knocks on it, and a feminine voice invites us in. We enter the office, which turns out to be Tamika and Kat's.

"Hey, guys," Kat greets. Tammy smiles with a hand wave.

"So," Oliver starts, visibly enthusiastic, signing for Tamika. "Yesterday, I tried my best to find a solution to help you out. I know Tammy's roommate recently moved out, so I texted her to see if she was still looking for a replacement. When I told her it was for you, she seemed okay with the idea, so you're here to discuss it with her."

My jaw drops with shock. He went through all this for me? "Oli, you--" Tongue-tied, I struggle to find the proper words.

"Calm down, Andy. All I did was send a text," he argues with amusement.

I turn to Tammy. "Would you seriously have me as a roommate?" I sign, my gestures lacking precision. I'm so relieved, my hands are trembling.

"We need to talk first, but I don't see why not."

For the following ten minutes, Tammy and I have a thorough conversation to make sure neither of us is making a mistake. Although beggars can't be choosers, so I'm in no matter what. She promises to send me a few pictures, gives me the address, tells me about the neighborhood... We agree to give it a trimester to try things out, and if it works out, then I can stay for good. After we exchange numbers, I leave the office, ecstatic.

Oliver's leaning against a wall, and when he notices I'm out, he puts his phone away.

"So?"

"Well, thanks to you, my ulcer will now slowly resorb."

"So it's good? She's taking you in?"

"Yes! We'll work out a few things until Saturday, but I have a roof for at least three months." I wriggle with excitement and happiness. "Seriously, Oli, you have no idea of how much you helped me. I don't know how to repay you."

"Don't worry, I just wanted to help a friend in need."

A friend. I'm Oli's friend. That feels great. Thanks to him, my first friend here, a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Since I don't know how else to express my elation, I get closer to wrap my arms around him. I hug him tightly, grateful for what he did. He freezes for a moment, not sure how to react, then his arms slowly close around my shoulders.