⸻ TWENTY-NINE ⸻

The most anticipated event of this convention is the fighting robots battle, which, conveniently for us, happens the afternoon that follows our presentation

The most anticipated event of this convention is the fighting robots battle, which, conveniently for us, happens the afternoon that follows our presentation. It's the perfect opportunity to celebrate our hard work and have fun one last time before heading home later tonight.

It takes place in a separate hall, smaller than the others. There are a few stands there, with companies that are primarily into high-tech electronics or robotic programming. There's an arena the size of a boxing ring in the middle, surrounded by high plexiglass walls and a net over it.

There's a whole betting pool going on, and while money isn't involved, we can win some cool merch if we get it right. All the fighting robots are exposed so we can make our choice, so I go over them, examining their shapes and gauging their potential.

I'm debating whether to vote for number twenty-three when Lex's voice comes from behind me. "Are you sure about this one, Walker?"

I smile, sensing some upcoming teasing. "I can't be certain, but I have a good feeling about it."

"It's quite small compared to the others."

"Because it's tiny doesn't mean it isn't fierce and skilled."

"Oh, I'm well aware of that fact," he answers with a suggestive voice. He's definitely not talking about number twenty-three. He gives me a playful side glance. "Do you want to place a bet?"

"Oh, I'm betting on this one. We shorties have to support each other."

"I meant another sort of bet, just you and me."

The promise of some sexy bet makes my skin warm up, my heart fluttering excitedly. "What forfeit do you have in mind?"

"How do you feel about being tied up while I take advantage of you?" he whispers in my ear.

Fuck... My knees turn to mush, a shiver runs up my spine, and heat spreads in my lower stomach. Images of being tied up while Lex finally lets his inner beast free flash before my eyes. He understands how much I enjoy the idea, his gorgeous face veiled with want. Alright. Even if none of us win, we're absolutely trying light bondage.

Before he can answer, we're interrupted by Brian. "What's up, guys? The votes are closing in three minutes," he reminds us on his way to Mason and Steven.

"For an hour?" I ask Lex once we're safe again.

"Not enough. Two minimum."

"Two and a half, and you have a deal."

"A little greedy for someone who'll pass out in twenty minutes," he teases, his eyebrow cocked up.

"It's how long The Shining is."

"You'd tie me up to make me watch a movie?"

"It's The Shinning, Lex. I absolutely would."

We place our bets and then find the others around the arena, ready to enjoy the carnage. The ambiance is like the Superbowl but for nerds, and it's surprisingly fun to watch modified Roombas demolish each other to death.