⸻ ELEVEN ⸻

"A million

"A million...dollars?" That's the first brilliant thing I manage to say.

"No, rupees." His sarcasm takes me by surprise, and I can't even take offense to his tone. Yep, I deserve that one.

"Although yours is well-advanced, it still isn't finished, so it has less value. Furthermore, you're a single individual, not a company, so once more, the price lessens."

Still hung up on the million, I'm not registering much of what he says. He notices and snaps his fingers in front of my face. "Focus, Andrea, I'll only tell you this once. I have to check the extent of your work, but given what I've seen, the price you ask for should range between two to three hundred."

"Two to three hundred...thousand?" Okay, I need to shut the fuck up until my brain works again...

He doesn't even bother to answer me this time. "I can help you determine the exact value of your work if you want. I'll be the one assessing it anyway if the sale ever happens."

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why are you being honest? I mean, you can tell me pretty much any number--I don't know better. Why are you not trying to scam me?" Or maybe he is, but he's great at hiding it.

He leans back in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest. I try to ignore how his bulging muscles stretch the fabric of his shirt, making his impressive physique even more stunning, but I'm a lost cause.

"I'm not opposed to negotiating harsh prices with other companies. They have the backbone to sustain it, and it's the law of the market. But dealing with individuals, especially one of our own employees, is a different thing. Kelex is doing well enough to afford that kind of expense every month, so I don't see the point in hustling you," he explains, his gray eyes locked onto mine. "Also, you're a smart woman. You can find out the truth and decide to go sell it elsewhere."

His justification makes sense, but the only thing I can think of is that he thinks I'm smart. I do take note, though, that his resolution to not scam people is commendable. I didn't expect him to be like that.

"I already told you: I'm not an asshole," he reminds me. I flinch, disconcerted to see I'm this transparent. "So, do you want to do an initial assessment of what your work is worth?"

I nod energetically. Hell yeah, I do!

He goes around me and grabs the chair in front of his desk, the one I sat on earlier, to settle it next to his, where my computer is displayed. It isn't a small and light chair, but some kind of heavy designer armchair. And he moves it as easily as a cheap foldable chair, veins bulging in his forearms.

This lovely packaging has me forgetting all about the unpleasant interior.

It isn't helping my case to know that this man has enough strength to lift me up against a wall and keep me there for a while and barely break a sweat. A mental image of Alexander fucking me with passion against a wall of his office, his perfect naked body shining with perspiration as he ravages me with deep, hard, and powerful thrusts, makes its way into my brain.