⸻ THIRTY-THREE ⸻

Our late-night call initiates a need to communicate, and we now spend a lot of time texting each other

Our late-night call initiates a need to communicate, and we now spend a lot of time texting each other. This odd situation, the relationship we don't want to call one, is slowly shifting into something different. Clearly, it isn't just about the sex anymore. We enjoy each other's company for more than the physical aspect of it. We both seek the meaningful, nerdy, or personal conversations we share.

I never had a lovey-dovey phase, so I never felt the need to keep in touch with someone as much as this. I feel like a teenager with a crush, jumping on my phone every time it makes a sound, giggling at Lex's texts, eagerly answering... At first, I tried not to respond too fast, worried I'd pass as clingy, but Lex is always quick to text back, so I now do as I please.

I learn a lot about him from those texts. Not being physically together rids us of the insane sexual tension, which always ends in sex. So for once, we're able to talk without being interrupted.

On Saturday, I accompany Tammy to the mall, where she's getting her haircut in the only salon she trusts to handle her hair type. After I help her translate everything to the hairdresser, I leave her at it and wander through the crowded mall. When I see the SALE signs in the Victoria's Secret windows, I casually step in. I have a good reason to invest in some finer underwear now.

I'm strolling through the pricey items when my phone vibrates in my back pocket. It's a text from Lex.

How are you surviving your imposed day of shopping?

It's not as bad as I thought. Victoria's Secret is having a sale.

He calls seconds after I send it. I pick it up with a grin from ear to ear.

"I'm calling to see if you need a consultant," he says with amusement. I can't help but laugh.

"I think I've got this covered, thanks. But just to be sure, how do you feel about teddies?"

"What on earth is that?"

"It's like a sexy, one-piece swimsuit."

His voice is a little hoarse when he says, "Oh... I rather enjoy these."

"Noted. What about crotchless panties?" This time, he mumbles something inaudible.

"I find them to be timesaving."

"Last question. What's your favorite color?"

"At this point, I'd still find lime green appealing on you, so surprise me."

"Alright, surprised you shall be." My eyes catch something pretty and teal. "Oh, that's beautiful... But I'm not sure I can figure out all the strappy things."

"Andrea, if it takes more than five seconds to get you out of it, I'll end up ripping it off."

"Aren't you supposed to be a genius? It can't be that complicated. Maybe I should just try it on."