⸻ TWENTY-THREE ⸻

I don't know what to expect when I return to work, but I feel electric

I don't know what to expect when I return to work, but I feel electric. I spent the weekend reliving our quick but intense kiss. Over, and over, and over.

There's no more hiding. Our desires are out.

When I enter the office, Lex is already on his computer, as always, but my eyes are quickly drawn to an unfamiliar form in the corner of the room. There's a desk set up there with a computer on it. My own computer is still very operational next to Lex's. What is that for? I'm about to ask when someone arrives behind me.

"Hey, Andy," Brian very enthusiastically says. He passes by me, his bag hanging on his shoulder, and sits at the newly added desk.

"Hi... Brian." Confused, I look at Lex, not understanding why he would set Brian here with us.

His expression is stern as he looks at me before returning to his work. Is my colleague here out of necessity, or is it to ensure things remain unheated between us? Is Brian some sort of insurance?

I need to know. Lex has to explain this abrupt change, or else I'll dwell on it endlessly. "Why is Brian here?" I ask once I'm at my desk.

"It's Brian this morning, but the others will take turns working here, depending on the tasks needing to be done. It's either that or we'll never finish on time," he adds, finally meeting my eyes. I decide to believe his answer is honest. We're far from being done, and it makes sense we have to do everything we can to finish by Wednesday. Our kiss doesn't have to be the reason for it.

Having someone else only highlights how silent Lex and I usually are. It's nice to work with the guys again, even though it's one at a time. Brian helps on Monday morning. Then Mason is here in the afternoon. Having them nearby is undeniably helping. Tuesday, it's Steven and then Joseph. The closer we are to D-day, the more intense the pressure gets.

With every hour that passes, I grow more confident we won't make it. The one thing actually ready for the demonstration is the double phone holder, which was 3D printed after a few prototypes were built. But as Kevin said, it's still an excellent opportunity to boost the app's progress. I can't wait for this whole thing to be over with, so things can go back to a semblance of normalness.

On Wednesday, I'm delighted to hear that Oliver will spend the afternoon with us. Even if I see him less and less as a romantic interest, he's still a dear friend, and I miss goofing around with him.

Most of the afternoon is spent testing the app's latest version and trying to correct some remaining errors. Oli and I are settled on the coffee table in Lex's office, with the proper configuration and our testing phones. We're both signing without nail polish and trying to edit the code as we go. Although it's terrible for our self-esteem work-wise—as the app isn't correctly catching what we sign—it quickly turns out to be a fun endeavor.

We've been doing this for about thirty minutes now, but the amusement isn't fading off.

The recognition tool struggles, so the sentence-formulating algorithm barely has anything to work its magic.