⸻ NINETEEN ⸻

To my surprise and relief, we don't run into anyone on our way to the elevator

To my surprise and relief, we don't run into anyone on our way to the elevator. It's later than I thought, and everyone's gone. The ride down is overwhelmingly silent—but it's welcomed, for once. It allows me to run the pros and cons of going all the way with Lex. The cons are all work-related and rather obvious.

The pros are about the potentiality of getting the best dicking of my life and then being rid of my unwanted infatuation for him. Please, if there's some justice in this world, let him be incredible at this. I'm not compromising everything for mediocre sex.

As for the question of emotions and feelings, I'm not worried they'll be involved. People have meaningless sex all the time and keep on living. I'll do the same.

A wave of heat warms up my face when I enter his car. The memory of the last time I was in here floods me. I discreetly turn to him, wanting to see if the same thoughts are racing through his mind, but nothing transpires from his ever-neutral expression.

"Is someone going to be waiting for you?" he asks, turning the engine on.

Our eyes meet, and my heart skips a beat. Christ... I'm never going to get over tonight, am I?

"Yes," I eventually say, struggling to take out my phone. "My roommate will expect me."

Lex drives us out of the building as I send Tammy a quick text. Once we're out, he takes a few turns that confuse me. He isn't going south as I expected, but north.

"You don't live near my neighborhood," I state with a frown.

"No, I don't."

"You lied to me, then, when you insisted on driving me home. Twice."

"I never told you where I lived, just that I was good to drive you to your place," he points out, not looking away from the road.

Right, maybe that's how it happened. But I'm confident he deliberately led me to believe it wasn't too much of a detour for him. I don't feel like figuring out why, though, because the answer might be dangerous to know.

He decides to justify himself, anyway. "I kept you late the first time, so it was the least I could do. The second time, I wasn't leaving you to fend for yourself drunk."

"I wasn't drunk," I argue out of pride.

"You need to make up your mind, Andrea. Were you drunk or not when you kissed me?"

Five minutes into this, and I'm already wondering if going through with it is a good idea. "I was tipsy," I defensively argue.

My abrasive tone must tip him off because a few seconds later, he says, "I'm sorry, I'm not very good at this social thing. I apologize if I was rude."

We're stopped at a red light, and he's studying me with interest, his expression one of concern. I know he isn't a people person, and the fact that he's acknowledging it and taking my feelings into consideration is meaningful.