4. INEZ

Airport hotels definitely aren't for the weak. Cheap mattresses, mould in the sink, the sound of planes taking off every five minutes. I didn't sleep at all. My eyes were heavy and I knew I was tired but every time my head hit the rock solid pillow, I couldn't get my mind to be quiet. Nerves filled my conscious and consumed me.

For the first time in my life, I was truly on my own.

Yes, my mother had been absent my whole life but at least I had someone to support me financially... if you could even say that. And once I graduated, I lived with Amelia who was relatively financially stable working as a manager at a four star restaurant in the main square. Yeah... she had her whole life sorted and she was only twenty four. Me on the other hand, not so much.

I no longer had the reassurance that someone would be there for me if a screwed up. I was moving to a new state where I knew no one - and no Nick doesn't count. I would put as much distance between Nick and I as possible. It'll be as if he stayed in DC.

The plane journey is only a hour and fifteen. There was no sign of the goblin though so that was a good sign. I hoped that when the company had booked our flights, they would be separate and I wouldn't have to spend a whole flight sat next to Nick. Dinner the other night was bad enough, even with the three ten minute toilet breaks I'd had in between each course. Luckily, when I boarded the flight I found myself sitting by the window next to a lesbian couple who were travelling to New York for their honeymoon. The pair were exhausted from their wedding yesterday so slept the whole flight meaning I had time to rest without the constant chatter beside me.

I had arrived in New York at nine in the morning, but didn't get out of the airport until close to twelve. Maya, the secretary to Lance who is the CEO of Astreus, was over a hour late.

"I am so so sorry sweetie, late night last night picking up your friend Nick. I slept through my alarm and there was traffic!"

I tried not to laugh at her comment on Nick and I being friends. She seemed genuinely apologetic though which I appreciated. I didn't exactly mind that she was late, I had coffee and a crumbl cookie. I had been in New York for all of two hours and had already decided that they did cookies better than DC.

"I'm Maya!" She smiled warmly at me.

Maya was probably in her mid forties. She was a small Asian woman with a scruffy fringe and lipstick a shade of pink so bright that it made Barbie look bland. She had a small mole above her lip, and her nails were delicately painted with blossom branches and flowers. She seemed like the kind of lady who was unconditionally loving and generous to those around her. I already knew I was going to love her.

"Inez." I reply. I would hug her but I was struggling to avoid dropping one of the many bags that carried the essentials. I wasn't stupid and knew how moving companies worked. I wouldn't see my bedsheets or mountains of books for at least another week.

"Let me take some of those bags!" She insists, instantly picking up on the struggle of carrying several bags and suitcases around a busy airport. She goes for the heaviest bag and I instinctively want to tell her no but Maya appears very persistent.

"So, I know you've got a busy couple few days coming up but let me run you through what the plan is. First of all, congratulations on joining the team! I'm so happy to have you with us. You and Nicholas. We were honestly only expecting one but the more the merrier." I could've gone without Nick being here but oh well she seemed too happy so I refused to bring it up. I didn't want to burst her positivity bubble.

"Thank you. I'm really excited to work with you." I sounded a bit like a Highschool drama student reading rehearsed lines of a script. The words tumbled from my mouth in the same tone and pace. God I must've sounded so boring.