6. INEZ

My eyes remain closed but I'm aware that I'm awake. It feels like I'm sleeping on a cloud, soft sheets and warm blankets. I think I would be happy forever if I stayed here. The natural morning light filling the room, the sound of busy New York below, the smell of woody cologne and a muscular arm draped around my body...

Wait.

OH. MY. GOD!

My eyes fly open in horror. No fucking way. I felt like I was having a mental panic attack. I couldn't believe that I had woken up to Nick Raynott touching me! I might actually throw up.

His arm rested on the middle of my back and I was now situated in the center of the bed. How did I let this happen! I could feel the burning heat rise to my cheeks but I couldn't tell if it was because of anger, embarrassment or if I was just blushing. God I hope it wasn't the last one. I wouldn't be caught dead blushing because of Nick Raynott.

By the faint breathing and little movement, I knew he was still asleep so our change in sleeping positions must have been subconscious. I decided to ignore how comfortable I was and slowly pulled my body away from his, careful not to wake him. As awkward as it was to experience, I imagine it would be much worse to explain to Nick. I mean, how do you explain to someone you supposedly hate why you woke up in their arms. No, it's his arm, his fault.

I carefully release myself from under his arm, abruptly stopping many different times when he stirs in his sleep. As soon as my feet hit the floor and I'm free of the bed, I rush out the room, not looking back as I did so.

My bed was coming today. This was a one time thing that will never happen again.

***

In the past hour, I've got changed, started unpacking and made a trip to the local newsagent and back. I didn't buy much, just the essentials for breakfast and lunch, most of which are cereal packets and the ingredients for the easiest things to cook. I wasn't a great cook... actually I was shit. The problem with living with a restaurant manager the majority of your adulthood is that you never have to cook. I guess I've fallen out of practice as every time I pick up a cookbook, there is a guaranteed food disaster within the hour.

I'm not usually so productive in the morning but I had to keep myself busy in order to stop myself from cringing every time I think about the way I woke up this morning. He had his arm wrapped around me! As in he was holding me. Like we were a couple. That's... insane! I'm impressed that I didn't scream.

I'm munching on my cornflakes and the kitchen island when I finally hear the bedroom door open again. Shit. Keep your head down Inez. Don't make eye contact.

To my surprise, Nick doesn't say anything as he enters the room. In fact, he walks straight past me to the kitchen cupboards, pulling out the bread I had just bought. I stare at him baffled as he proceeds to take out the eggs as well, setting them down on the counter.

"That's my food. I paid for it." I say as he grabs a frying pan from another cupboard.

"You slept in my bed last night. I say we're even." He grunts back, flipping the pan handle in his grip. And there it is, the flustered awkward feeling of remembering Nicks arm around me.

I don't bother saying anything after that, instead I try revert my gaze back to my cornflakes and the book I had bought at the airport. I had bought a book yesterday to read until my books from home arrived with the moving company. I liked reading, it was like a guilty pleasure. The idea of escaping to a different reality when this one got too difficult enticed me. However, I didn't make it past the first page before the sound of an egg cracking and sizzling on a pan filled the room.