14: INEZ

A/N - This chapter has a song which I think pairs well with the vibe. I've noted where it should go with a 🎶 emoji. Enjoy x

"Jesus Christ Charleen, it's like you're deliberately trying to fuck up dinner."

I scold Nick for his comment. He's currently leaning over my shoulder pestering me as I cut up carrots for the lasagna. I had caved and offered to help but now I'm regretting my decision because with every slice of the blade against the vegetable, Nick finds something else to complain about.

"I'm just cutting the carrots calm down." I tell him, swatting him away with my hand.

"Incorrectly." He points out, a smug look plastered to his lips.

"What's wrong with the way I'm cutting the carrots?" I ask, now annoyed by his patronising tone. We'd only just started cooking and the uneasy feeling of unfamiliarity builds up in my stomach. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate not be able to cook? I don't know the first think about making a home cooked meal.

"You're cutting them into battens. They're meant to be diced."

Irritation floods through me as I seize the pile of carrot sticks and slice through them again to make little cubes.

"Shit!" I pull my hand away and wince at the pain jittering from my finger. I'd cut myself with the stupid knife. I'm hopeless.

Nick, who hasn't moved from my side since I'd started cutting the vegetables, runs a hand down his face. He then snatches my hand and pulls me towards the sink, running cold water under the cut.

I watch as the water cleans the gash. Nick doesn't say a word as he opens our 'everything draw' and pulls out a plaster.

"I'm the worst cook ever." I say defeatedly, as the cold water numbs my finger.

"It happens all the time Charleen don't sweat it." Then he laughs, "but yes, you are the worst cook ever."

I snap my head in his direction feeling more mortified than annoyed, "screw you, bastard."

He chuckles, throwing his hands up defensively, "you said it Sweetheart, not me. I'm just agreeing with you."

"Well that's a first." I mumble and he laughs. After a few moments and once my finger stops bleeding profusely, Nick gently takes my hand and dries it with a paper towel. He then proceeds to cover the cut with a plaster. I feel myself get slightly dizzy at the way he handles me with such precaution, but I blame it on the blood loss. I've always been squeamish so maybe it's that.

No. It is that. I don't get light headed around Nick. He's doesn't make my breathing unsteady. He doesn't make me feel butterflies.

Oh fuck.

I feel lightheaded.
My breathing becomes heavy.
My stomach flutters.
NO!

I pull my hand away, looking him dead in the eye. He smirks, a dimple appearing on his left cheek. God that dimple is cute. I force myself to not focus on the dimple but his smug expression. I hate that he knows I'm flustered. I know he knows because he's smiling like a kid in a candy store knowing he can get whatever he wants. But I'm no candy store and he definitely won't be getting me.

Scoffing, I mumble a 'thank you' under my breath before walking back over to the kitchen island to dice the remainders of the vegetables.

***

Three hours after my incident with the vegetables and I'm welcoming our guests. I keep my outfit casual: a long sleeved black top with suit pants topped off with gold jewellery.