20: NICK

A/N From now on, I'll put a 🎶 emoji followed by the song name when I recommend listening to a certain song. You don't have to listen to it, but I think it adds to the vibe. Enjoy!

Suits were never really my thing. I always associated them with business attire which I didn't much care for. But something I've learned from working as a photographer was that you had to attend many events. Many formal events. So now, wearing suits were second nature to me. And strangely, I begun to like them too.

I brush off imaginary dust from my white shirt as the seconds go by. Inez and her friends were already 7 minutes late. We were due to leave for the pre-winter gala moments ago but Inez always seemed to find something she had to perfect at the last minute.

Amelia had stayed with us last night and my eyes are still wary from the lack of sleep. The girls acted like teenagers having their first sleepover. They talked and laughed all night and I could barely keep my eyes shut. Somehow, Inez's friend Stacey, who was an event organiser, had managed to secure Amelia an invite from one of her friends to tonight's gala. Wonderful. Now I have to put up with three over-excited girls for half an hour during the taxi ride to the estate in which the event is held at.

Inez and I weren't technically working tonight. Besides taking a few photos of the red carpet looks, we could enjoy the event as any other guest would. That was if we made it on time. I check my watch. Nine minutes late.

"The taxi's here. Hurry up!" I call out.

Amelia is the first to emerge from Inez's bedroom wearing a bright blue gown. She smiles at me as she walks over to the vanity to touch up her lipgloss. Stacey follows, wearing a sparkly silver dress.

Inez then exits her bedroom, waltzing down the hall in a dark red skin tight gown that hugs her curves deliciously. My eyes wonder down her body as I take in her mesmerising features. Hazel eyes, delicate gold jewellery, long dark hair pinned back into an elegant bun and the same off-red lipstick she always wears.

She's stunning.

I clear my throat, looking away as blood rushes to my groin. Inez rolls her eyes as she walks past me and I can't help but smirk. I like it when she's mad. She was always sarcastic with me but when she's angry, she's also fiery.

I open the front door for the girls and we head down towards the foyer. I hadn't yet had a chance to talk to Inez about what happened last week. That's right, last week. She's become an expert at avoiding me and that only vexes me more. Taunting me with that man was a clear enough message to say that she cares so whether she wants to or not, she can't deny the fact that seeing me with another woman makes her jealous.

Because I'm not denying that seeing her with another man makes me jealous. Not anymore.

I may hate Inez, but she's mine to hate. And the hatred has expanded far beyond petty words and silly gestures. I've almost forgotten why I disliked her to begin with. Because now, I hate her more than anything because I want her.

She preoccupies every thought I have and it drives me insane. But I'll be damned if I give into Inez's pathetic attempts to make me jealous. To get me to give in. I'm not making the first move. It's too easy for her and I'm not letting her walk away with the satisfaction of breaking my ego. Any self-respect I have that will be stripped away if I sleep with my sworn enemy so I'm not being the one to initiate it.