19: NICK

Oh shit.

Inez hangs up the phone as soon as the final word leaves my mouth and I'm clenching my jaw so hard it could break teeth. I throw my phone across the room and it lands on the couch.

Running a hand through my hair, I pace the room, feeling stressed, annoyed and more prominently, desire. I knew I fucked up by bringing Tara home, but Inez and I weren't in a relationship so it shouldn't matter. Hell, we didn't even like each other so why would it matter? I'm not sure regret was the best word to describe what I felt, and I doubt it was regret she was feeling either. I think it's just self betrayal. I mean, feeling lust towards someone you allegedly hate is as embarrassing as it is confusing.

But the difference between hate and desire was a very thin line and I was sitting on the fence, a leg either side. I hated her, but God it hurt how much I wanted her.

Suddenly, my phone starts to ring. Thinking it's Inez calling back to finish our argument, I lunge for my phone, disappointed to find it's only my mother. I groan, answering the phone.

"Hi mother." I say flatly.

"Nicholas."

That's it. Just a word. As if I'm meant to decipher what that means. It couldn't be good. What I've learnt over the years whilst living as my mother's disappointment is that she never calls without a reason.

It wasn't new news that my mother didn't care for me much. After all, she only invested the money she did in me so I could be properly groomed to take over the family business. That, I did not.

Despite the business management courses I took throughout college and the internships working along side my father, I found no enjoyment in working within the office. I found pleasure in working for myself, controlling everything I did and having creative freedom. The business didn't grant me this however my parents didn't view it in this way.

Moira and Ian Raynott were the type of people who saw the world in black and white. Either you were wealthy or you weren't. And according to my mother, photography won't get you to where I need to be in life. It's not "legitimate" enough. Bullshit. This internship was a chance for me to prove her wrong. I could earn thousands more than she could imagine and I would enjoy it in doing so.

"Sophie just landed a promotion. Did you know?" She says bitterly. I can taste the resentment down the line. She knew what she was doing, hanging my sisters success infront of me on a string, baiting me into regretting my decision of not taking over the family business. Despite my parents constantly trying to drive a wedge between me and Soph, we remained close. Sophie always admired my work and that hadn't stopped, even when it meant she had to take over from me. I don't think she was too happy about this but my little sister isn't someone who stands up for herself often. I wish I could do more to help but no matter how many times I ask her about it, she shrugs it off.

"I didn't, no."

"You should congratulate her. We'll be celebrating for Thanksgiving with my parents. I don't expect you to show, given that you're oh so busy in New York." She says coldly.

"I said I'd be there mum." I say quietly, hating how timid I sounded. She had that effect on me. Her sharp tongue had a way of making me feel worthless and invisible.

"Good." She says, and hangs up the phone. That's it. She calls to tell me to congratulate my sister, not even bothering to ask how I was. It's safe to say I've come a long way since I was the twelve year old boy who was the apple of my parent's eyes. Because somewhere along the line between my twelve year old self and now, my mum and dad disappeared and were replaced with Moira and Ian Raynott, strangers who happened to share a last name.

I let out a shaky breath before firing a quick congratulatory message to Sophie. I close my messages and open Instagram again. My finger hovers over the photo of Inez and that guy. The one who's sniffing her shoulder like a creep. She knows what shes doing. And I'm not stupid; I'm well aware that she's doing it to get back at me. Make me jealous or something like that.

The only problem is, I am jealous.

***

The front door opens. I frantically reach for the TV remote, slapping the off button and throwing on a T-shirt. It had been four days since Inez had left the city. Four days of silence and peace. It was torture. Strangely, I missed having Inez around the apartment. The way she curses at me for leaving a mess in the living room or how she grumpily stalks around the apartment trying to make coffee first thing in the morning. I knew she'd have to return eventually, and I'm ashamed to admit that I've been hoping she'd return sooner rather than later.

I jump of the couch and head towards the hallway, stopping at the end of it just as Inez came into view.

Inez, intoxicatingly beautiful as always, waltz's into the apartment, wheeling in a small purple suitcase. She meets my eyes and scowls before flicking them in the opposite direction and away from me. And just like that, everything was back to normal. Inez was home and-

"Nez! My bag won't fit through the door!" Another voice echo's from the doorway behind Inez. She moves out the way slightly and I get a glimpse of a blonde girl wearing a bright pink sweater and joggers.

Oh for fuck sake. I recognised that bright taste in fashion anywhere. Amelia Foyez. What the hell was she doing here?

I watch intently as Inez helps Amelia push her bag through the front door and wheel it into the living room, mere feet away from where I was standing. I glare at the brunette, my eyes demanding answers as to why her friend from DC was standing in our living room.

"Oh!" She exclaims, "you two haven't met. Amelia, Nick. Nick, Amelia." She gestures between the two of us.

"Nice to meet you Nicholas." Amelia says with a humorous grin.

"It's Nick. You should know that. We've met before." I say rolling my eyes.

"Hmm. No. I don't think we have." She says sweetly, placing a finger to her chin in thought and pouting.

"We were in the same course in college."

"You were two years above me."

"We had the same lectures occasionally."

"You didn't stick out to me."

I roll my eyes. This was going to be stressful as fuck having Inez and her posse wondering around the apartment.

My attention averts back to Inez who's leaning against the wall, amusement in her expression. However, once her eyes meets mine, her smile drops.

"I need to talk to you. Alone." I demand, holding her gaze. She holds it too, firing back a reply.

"Not now. We're going to meet Stacey uptown to buy dresses for tomorrow nights event." She says, "speaking of which, we're leaving. Right now."

Inez grabs Amelia by the hand and pulls her away from the living room.

"But I want to get changed!" I hear Amelia's muffled whine down the hall, followed by the slam of the front door.

A/N
Word Count: 1265
This is unedited so I'm sorry if the writings sloppy I just really wanted to get a chapter out as I haven't uploaded in a while!!
Sorry this is just kinda a filler chapter but don't worry I got exciting stuff planned coming up 🤭
Hope you're all still enjoying and I'll try upload again soon!!
Happy Mother's Day too!!
Lots of love 🫶
-E <3