The Fallout

A happy and loud, expletive came from your right, shattering the silence that followed the hat's proclamation.

"Mr.Sallow!" reprimanded the Deputy Head—but it had done its service in breaking the awkward atmosphere, causing students to start laughing and cheering for you. You even heard a few polite claps come from your new house.

You shakily stepped down from the stool as the redheaded witch removed the hat from your head. You glared at it as it was taken away—the confusing conversation with it still buzzing around your brain.

An excited clapping came from behind you and saw Professor Ronan sending you a zealous thumbs up, joy filling his jolly features. You scanned along the line and saw all the teachers applauding and beaming, with Professor Sharp giving you an appreciative nod, holding up his goblet.

"Alright young Slytherin, look here." You turned to see Professor Weasley holding up her wand. With a flick, you felt magic cascade over your body, watching the gray accents on your clothes turn a deep shamrock green, a serpent crest branding your cloak with your new house.

"Well, I suppose that's a step in the right direction." came a haughty voice.

The Headmaster looked down his nose at you with a shade more interest than before. Judging by the color of his attire, you had just joined his boyhood house.

Numbly you looked up and saw disappointment etched on the faces of your new friends. Natty gave a luckless shrug but clapped and cheered loudly. Poppy and Amit also looked crestfallen, but applauded and tried to seem happy for you anyway. Garreth appeared a bit more downcast—but you assumed that was due to him having surely lost his wager.

You turned your feet towards your new house table, your mind and heart weighing heavily with each step.

So where should I sit? Next to the blind boy I insulted, the girl who thinks I'm an idiot or the flirtatious rake who seems hellbent on driving me to violence?

You purposely walked to the far end of the Slytherin table as food magically appeared along it. The Great Hall broke out into conversation and clinking cutlery as you spied an empty seat next to a girl with a brown fringe. You quickly sat down, pretending you didn't hear Sebastian's little nickname for you drifting down the table, trying to catch your attention.

"Hello there! I'm Nerida Roberts." the attractive brunette said, holding out a hand. You tried to shrug off your initial disappointment, smiling politely as you shook it, introducing yourself.

Nerida turned out to be quite an interesting dinner companion. While the rest of the Slytherins on your end of the table eyed you with distrust, Nerida warmly asked you about your classes and your life with Muggles.

"It's so strange. No one thought you would be a Slytherin—not with your upbringing." she said, taking a bite of her roast beef.

"Why? What does my upbringing have to do with it?"

"Oh! It's not a bad thing, honest—It's just—Slytherin has certain...traditions. One of which is a requirement to be a pure-blood."

"A what?"

"A pure-blood. It just means that your family is made of all wizards—no muggles. I don't hold much stock in that nonsense—but many in our house do." and she then gave you a significant look which you unfortunately, understood. "The thing is, you didn't seem to know anything about the magical world and you were raised by muggles...everyone assumed you were a muggle-born."

Huh.

Were you not muggle-born? You had never really given much thought to your parents. They had not seen the value in keeping you or they had not survived long enough to do so—either way, they were strangers.