A Penitent Heart

"You are gathering quite the collection of correspondents, Bash." Sebastian remarked warmly, handing you three envelopes when the post dropped onto the table.

You beamed as you collected the letters, pleased to have received so many responses.

It was the Sunday after your birthday weekend. It had been hard to go back to the steady flow of learning after your party, but having your new broom in Flying class certainly helped cheer you up.

You had greatly enjoyed the Halloween feast, the Great Hall decorations filling you with festive spirit. After a delicious meal, your friends had gathered in the Vivarium for a small bonfire and scary stories. You made cinder toffee and the boys set off firework spells and potions, much to the interest and delight of the beasts.

Ominis had been attempting to get you to find more time to read, as you had only just started Pride and Prejudice—and he was already quite hooked. You warmly rebuffed these requests though, wanting to enjoy the story for as long as you could.

Your training sessions had taken on a new facet and urgency for you. Hecat had been surprised when you asked for more intensive combat training, as well as information on traps and concealment. Your professors readily obliged—which meant you needing to down a pepper-up to stay awake in the warm Divination room.

Ronen was in fine form on Tuesday evening when he gave you and Ominis your first Healing lesson. This mainly included a lot of note taking and learning basic principles of healing magic. Ominis was an excellent partner to learn with, asking good questions as well as summarizing complex principals in an approachable way. Ronen had given you both potions recipes that he wanted you to brew before next week. You and Ominis thanked the Charms professor warmly for his support. Your head of house simply beamed before assuring you it was his pleasure, sending you off to your dorm.

It was Sunday morning, your friends all reading letters while munching on toast and crumpets. You picked up the most elegant letter first, the heavy hot-pressed envelope lined with a delicate gold trim.

It was from Lady Alacaré. Fin shot you a wide smile as he snapped the seal on his own letter from the elderly witch. You nodded before opening the note, beaming down at the loopy aristocratic handwriting.

My Sweet Slytherin,

I was delighted to find a kind letter waiting for me when I returned from a short holiday down to Cornwall. Your note was very sweet and made me laugh—I see why you are friends with my grandson, of a similar disposition it seems.

I am glad that you and Mr Gaunt are no worse for wear after the ball, showing that you seem to be more mature than his brother. I have heard musings that Marvolo is persona non grata at some of the fashionable clubs in town after his little outburst. The Ton appears to be trying to make efforts to be more modern, and his archaic attitudes are not buying him any favors.

I understand through friends that the Figs have been guiding you in your magical education. I must say you could not be in better hands, my dear. Miriam is a truly gifted witch and fiercely loyal to her friends. Eleazar is one of Hogwarts best assets...and while I should not wish unemployment on any of my family—he makes far more sense as a headmaster than well...you know.

I had a thought that actually related to you as I write this with my afternoon tea. My Finny had mentioned that you worked in a muggle kitchen before coming to school and are a fabulous baker. He said that you had made these cinnamon biscuits that sounded rather delicious. I was wondering if you might share the recipe? I have a terrible sweet tooth...which I know is rather silly for a woman my age but I simply adore a dessert—it's my fatal flaw, I suppose. If you have any other recipes that you think I might be able to make please do pass them on.