Books, Balance, Barbs and Black

Miriam gave you an encouraging smile as you sat down at the head of the long table covered with books and tea cups. Most of your professors were sat around it, watching you with interest. Their eyes kept flicking to Professor Fig—which you assumed meant he had been the one to ask them to come to this clandestine meeting.

You caught Professor Weasley's eye as she sent you a thoughtful head tilt—her kind features helping you feel a little less nervous.

The Figs sat on either side of you, bookending you with their comforting presence. You looked along the line of teachers.

Garlick was smiling brightly—appearing just happy to be there as she looked around. Hecat had her arms crossed as she stood leaning against a credenza at the back of the room. Sharp, Ronen and Onai were on your left while Riddack sat beside Weasley, Shah and Howin on the right. Kagowa had also chosen to stand at the side, hands on her hips as she watched you get settled.

Professor Fig cleared his throat.

"Thank you my friends for agreeing to meet under such mysterious circumstances. I appreciate your trust in me—and Miriam. As you all know, the goblin Ranrok has been increasing his efforts to wage some kind of war against wizards—with much of his impact being felt in the valley around Hogwarts. He has been collecting loyal followers and has even drawn some dark wizards into his employ."

Sharp sucked his teeth in irritation as he huffed.

"Not the Ministry is doing anything to help." he muttered ruefully, earning a few corroborating nods from his colleagues.

Fig gave him a knowing look.

"I know, Aesop. The Ministry seems more concerned with muggle conflicts brewing abroad than the ones at our own door. Our friend George Osric, you all know him—well he wrote just yesterday that he has had no luck convincing the ministry to increase Auror presence in the valley or try to bring Ranrok in—it is most frustrating."

You saw Fig's eyes darken as his wife continued.

"Ozzie said that they have at least heard reports that Ranrok is using some powerful form of magic—not natural to goblins. The issue is we did not have any proof of this magic—that is until our young Slytherin here entered the picture." you felt your heart tighten as every pair of eyes fell on you. Ronen looked actively concerned while Sharp remained stone faced. "This story is really hers to tell." and she gave you a significant look that had you taking a careful breath before scanning the faces watching you.

"Alright. So to begin with—I haven't always been a Slytherin."

***

As you told your story, you watched your Professor's faces shift and change with each new incredible or dangerous detail. When you told them of the package from the Ravenclaw you saw Hecat's eyes go wide, her aged fingers finding her lips as she watched you. You saw Miriam send her an unreadable expression.

As you got to events that included your friends—you started being a little less forthcoming with details—and names. While you praised the ability of your fellow Hogwarts students, you didn't want them getting in trouble—and therefore avoided identifying them.

Miriam stood while you were telling them about the memory of Isidora to nip to a sideboard to bring over the book from the restricted section and lay it on the table.

You finished your story with a resolute vow to avoid The Ravenclaw's fate and stop Ranrok from whatever calamity he planned for the valley—and Hogwarts.

"I cannot know what any of your counterparts did for their Ravenclaw student—but I do not believe she placed her trust in them as I am doing with you. She seemed to believe she had to do it all alone—and deeply regretted that choice. So I give you this information with no caveats or expectations. I just want you to be prepared for what may be coming on the horizon."