Lavender and Lists

You stared at the little envelope made from hot pressed parchment with utter confusion.

"I don't understand...why would Anne write to me—she has no idea who I am." you wonder aloud, looking up at Sebastian. He looked concerned as well—but then tilted his head slightly with disagreement, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Weeeell—that's not exactly true. I told you the other day that I mentioned you in a letter to her. You may have also come up in the last couple of owls I've sent since then." he added nonchalantly, before taking a long drink from his coffee.

You felt Ominis turn and you glanced up to see him looking a little sheepish, biting his lip.

"I might have included an anecdote or two involving you in a letter I wrote recently," he admitted softly. You turned to see Nerida beaming cheerfully across the table at you while Imedla seemed intently focused on her cottage pie.

"Of course I told Anne about you! You are our new dormmate and friend. I knew she would want to know all about you and the start of the year." Nerida stated simply, before looking expectantly down at her friend.

Imedla sighed.

"Yes, alright, I told Anne about the new fifth-year too—but she asked about her!" Imelda defended with a huff.

You blanked at this information, taking in each of your new friends before looking back down at the envelope. With a soft smile you made a realization:

While you had been learning about Anne—she had been learning about you.

"I suppose I better see what she says." and you moved to unseal the shiny purple wax before you felt Sebastian start beside you.

"Wait, Bash—lunch is almost over. Read it after Arthimancy, you don't want to be late for your first lesson." supplied Sebastian with a quick smile. Glancing at the large ornate clock by the door you nodded and stashed the letter into your pocket, right beside your parchment from Professor Ronen.

Nerida and Imedla both gave Sebastian unreadable looks before restarting their argument about Nerida's cracked jumper.

As you quickly finished your meal you couldn't keep your thoughts off the mystery letter in your pocket—and its significant sender.

What could Anne have to say to you? You had a slightly nasty thought that she would be upset that you were joining her friend group without her there—or that she may have heard about the troll incident and wants you to stay clear of her brother.

You shook your head as you rose from the table to head to Arithmancy. You needed to put the letter out of your thoughts or you wouldn't be able to focus on your next class.

Sebastian had grabbed Ominis to make their way to their Beasts session. The kind blonde had begun trying to explain where the Arithmancy classroom was—but Sebastian seemed eager to get to class and pulled him out of the Great Hall before he could tell you which staircase you should take.

You started walking towards the door Ominis had originally gestured to, sighing with a shrug. You would need to discover the magical mathematics classroom on your own.

Still, you were getting quite used to navigating the castle—how hard could it be?

***

After your third time passing the same statue you stopped walking and sighed, placing your head in your hands as you tried to remember which hallway led to the adjacent wing.

"Have we found a young maiden in need of rescuing?"

Looking up you grinned, relieved to see Natsai striding over to you—Poppy Sweeting skipping to keep up behind her.