Quid Pro Quo

"Muffliato"

Even in the quiet echo of the empty room you felt the dampening effects take hold around the sofa, sealing you and Sebastian in a dome of confidence.

"There is no one here, Bash." remarked Sebastian, rolling his eyes at your spell.

"You never know—plus, this concerns some delicate matters and I would rather be careful." you add with a prudent look.

"So what is this proposition?" the freckled boy asked, stretching out, resting his ankle on his knee as he watched you with interest.

You smiled and played with the edge of the parchment, choosing your plan of attack.

"Alright Seb, so I would like your help with fire spells—specifically Incendio and Confringo. I need to be a lot better with them by next Thursday." you state with a business-like air.

Sebastian looked surprised but not unwilling to comply, a smug grin filling his features.

"I see my reputation has preceded me—fire spells are a specialty of mine. I would be more than happy to give you some private lessons—"

You smiled with relief.

"—if you tell me why you need to know them, so very quickly." he finished with a challenging head tilt.

So close.

You figured he would ask the reason—which is why you had your bribe. Still, maybe he would be mature about it.

"Garreth needs my help with a personal favor"

"Nope."

So much for being mature.

"Come on, Seb. Why not?" you needle, shooting him a tired look.

Sebastian sneered as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"I don't need a reason. Besides—he's an arse. Plain and simple. I'm not helping you do him a favour—and what is this personal favour anyways?" Sebastian gritted, his jaw clenched as his eyes darkened.

You shook your head with an apologetic look.

"I'm sorry Seb, Garreth didn't say I could tell anyone else. I wouldn't betray you so please don't ask me to betray him."

Sebastian scoffed, tossing his head.

"Then good luck with Confringo—hope you aren't attached to that hair." he chided ruefully, looking ready to stand. You grabbed his arm to keep him seated.

"Why do you hate Garreth so much?"

"Why do you like him so much?" he spat back, before quickly schooling his emotions. "He is just such a typical Gryffindor, Bash. Always mouthing off—pulling stupid pranks. How he is a Prefect I'll never know—nepotism, I imagine." Sebastian's leg started to jitter with irritation. "Did you know that when we were in year three, he broke into the Slytherin Quidditch locker room and replaced my hair tonic with a dye potion—my hair was green for a fortnight!" he growled, running his hand through his chestnut locks at the memory. You had to dig your fingernails hard into your palms to stop yourself from giggling at the mental image—you still needed his help after all.

Steadying yourself you leveled a resigned look at him, placing a hand on his forearm with mock defeat.

"Alright—I get that you and Garreth aren't going to be skipping down to the Three Broomsticks together anytime soon—as fun as being able to socialise with both of you might be. You don't want to indirectly help him. That's fine." you gave a labored sigh before taking a fake gasp, tapping your finger on your chin in a display of thought. "You know, I actually think I recall Amit saying he was good at fire spells—plus he loves books...I bet he would help me in exchange for an unrestricted trip to the Restricted Section..." and you sighed as you fanned yourself with the parchment.