The Muggle Way

You stood admiring the mosaic tilework on the little gabled door with Nerida beside you. The design looked like a mermaid from a pirate story—with a smiling topless woman sporting a curvy fishtail sitting on a rock.

"You think this is here for me?" asked Nerida nervously. You squeezed her hand in yours as you and Ominis nodded, with Amit leaning in to inspect the ornate door with curiosity.

It was early after breakfast on the far side of The Quidditch Room.

Your friends had joined you in small, hopefully inconspicuous groups, with Garreth and Natty skirting in after everyone, the latter carrying an elegant birch wood broom.

The four flyers had all crowded around the maintenance bench, with cackles and happy chatter drifting from where they worked on their brooms. Fin and Poppy had headed straight for the Vivarium, wanting to get everything ready for Howin to visit after lunch.

You turned and smiled at Nerida.

"When I was asked to visualize this space...I sort of let my mind wander and it landed on my friends. I started thinking about all of you and this place appeared." you glanced up at Amit. "Take the constellation design in the main room and the high bookshelves stacked with guides and star charts—inspiration from our favourite resident Ravenclaw."

Amit's face flushed with surprise, his handsome features tinting a shade.

"You thought of me? I am honoured to be included in the design of this wonderful space, my dear friend." he remarked with a genuine smile. Nerida's eyes watered a little.

"So this is my contribution?" she asked excitedly. You nodded and bid her to pull the fish-shaped brass handle.

A damp warm breeze met the four of you when she swung the door open, revealing a gas lamp lit hall with more beautiful mosaic tiling.

"In you get." and you placed a hand on her lower back, giving her a light push. Nerida giggled and snatched up your hand, pulling you with her as the boys followed.

The four of you filed into the humid hall with two doors on either side. Nerida peaked into one.

"A powder room?" she asked warily—making you chuckle.

"Well yes—you do like to be clean and smart, Ner—but these are just a convenience. Your real space is down the stairs."

Nerry's face glowed with excitement as she turned to continue to the stairs at the end of the hall. Ominis and Amit's steps echoed behind you as you started down the narrow marble stairs.

You heard a squeak of delight from your friend when you all emerged into the steamy, gabled space.

"It's a—swimming pool?" she gasped.

It was indeed a small swimming pool.

The tiled greenhouse-like chamber was lit with gas lights as well as a large orb suspended in the ceiling that flickered as if filled with fireflies. The rectangular Victorian style pool was lined with wooden deck chairs and tall exotic plants. Hot-house blooms hung from vines that wrapped around wrought iron supports

"This must be so you can learn to swim, my star." muttered Amit as he leant close to his girlfriend's ear. Nerry clasped her hands to her chest as she beamed around the ornate room.

"It's so beautiful. I could definitely learn in here." she whispered excitedly. You then let Amit take her on a turn around the room, the pair pointing at the ornate glass porthole windows that were charmed to look out into various waters.

"So, my adder." and Ominis came to stand close beside you. "—might I ask if I have any influence on the Keep?" he questioned with a shy smile.

You blushed a little as you thought about how many of the Keep's features reminded you of your blonde Slytherin.