The Scent of Humour

Imelda waved goodbye as she headed for the Library to return some books—Nerida, having already left to check in with her new hero.

As you walked back to your common room with the boys, Ominis kindly explained why you didn't have anything on your schedule for the day other than the words 'Focus Five'.

"All fifth-years have Wednesdays free of classes this year. We are meant to use it to study for O.W.Ls and stay on top of the workload the professors assign—but this early in the year—it's just a day off." Ominis smiled.

You hummed in agreement, pleased to have a day to catch up on your assignments...as well as work on your other—responsibilities.

Sebastian fell into step beside you.

"Ominis and I are headed to the Quidditch pitch this morning. I need to get some practice in or I'll lose my stamina. Ominis will be looking for weeds or something."

Ominis rolled his eyes with a sigh.

"I am searching for Crimson Virbana. It's a rare bloom with impressive stabilising effects in restoration potions—Garlick said there might be some patches around the pitch."

You nodded thoughtfully before furrowing your brow. You placed a light hand on his arm as you walked.

"Can I ask how you look for them—does your orientation spell help you locate specific things?"

Ominis seemed pleased to explain, holding his wand out as he told you about modifier incantations he can use to help find specific magical auras.

"—also Professor Sharp kindly let me smell some dried Virbana yesterday. It has a unique pleasant scent which I hope will help me find it."

You squeezed his arm in delight.

"That's brilliant Ominis. I had no idea you had such a great sense of smell."

Sebastian huffed a laugh as he was digging around in his satchel for something.

"Of course he does—how do you think he guesses what essence oils you're wearing everyday." he muttered absentmindedly—before seeming to realize what he said, looking up with a wince.

"You do?" you ask with surprise. You felt the blonde's arm still under your hand.

Ominis was scowling at Sebastian before turning towards you, his cheeks pink as he nervously began to fidget with his necktie.

"Well—it's just...you seem to use something different each day—it's nice. Most girls just use the same scent...so, I started trying to guess the combinations—and then I stupidly told my friend."

You blanked for a moment before chuckling lightly, squeezing his arm for a long pulse followed by two short ones, to show you were not upset.

"Oh, that makes sense—and I guess that's a little on me. I am just enamoured with all the different options in the toiletries cupboard—there are so many. They only had plain caster soap at the orphanage—so I guess I'm indulging a little." you admit with a nervous blush.

Ominis leaned closer with a careful look.

"As is your right. Slytherins take pride in how the world perceives us—including our scent. That is why we get far more options than other houses in the communal store cupboards. Please continue exploring—I can keep my distance if it makes you more comfortable." and he shyly ducked his head as he looked ready to try and step away.

You just held firm, stepping closer to him.

"Nonsense. This just means you can know if you're correct. What's today's guess?" you ask with a friendly squeeze, causing his eyebrows to raise for a beat before his marble features filled with a sweet smile.