In the Valley of Hope

While you'd informed your roommates that you and Sebastian had made up, they still bore quite chilly shoulders for the remorseful looking Copperhead when you all came down to meet them the following morning.

Sebastian gave you a weak smile, checking nervously you hadn't changed your mind about forgiving him. You returned an encouraging look before you stepped in to give him a quick, friendly hug.

"Good morning, Sebastian." you muttered in a placating voice.

His arms immediately pulled you in, filling your senses with notes of cinnamon and clean soap.

"Is this how we say 'Good Morning' now? Not that I'm complaining." he chuckled as you tried to pull away—only to find him holding on a beat longer, humming happily as he swayed a little.

"Just for today, Seb." you said with a giggle as you drew back. Imelda and Nerida flanked you with terse expressions which made Sebastian's easy smile flicker, his arms dropping from you nervously. You shook your head with a smile and moved past him to make your way to the awaiting blonde.

You bid good morning to Ominis, slipping an arm through his as you started towards breakfast—leaving Sebastian to deal with the two girls who had started to harshly whisper at him with stony faces.

"I hope they go easy on him." you mutter to Ominis as you stepped through the exit. A guilty-looking Sebastian and your roommates were following behind at a distance as you heard Imelda whisper "—what would Anne say?"

Ominis chuckled as he shook his head.

"He will be better for it. Seb gave me a brief overview of your discussion last night—you should know he was truly regretful for his words and actions."

"I know that, Ominis. I could see how penitent he was—and thank you for whatever common sense you knocked into him."

He ducked his head with a humble smile.

"I have had a lot of practice. While Anne and Seb are very close—they are siblings and are prone to bicker from time to time. They both can be stubborn and petulant if they believe they are in the right. Thankfully, Anne has matured past most of that type of behaviour—Seb still needs to grow a little."

You hummed warmly at this, finding the mental image of Sebastian and Anne having little quarrels rather endearing.

"I wish I had a sibling—even if just to argue with." you lamented with a sigh as you turned up a corridor.

Ominis gave your hand on his arm a gentle squeeze.

"I too am envious of their relationship—and I have siblings." he advised with a luckless look. "Take it from me, not all brothers and sisters are as loving or as kind to one another as the Sallows."

You bit your lip, dreading what this odd remark meant for the childhood treatment of your dear friend.

"I'm sorry to hear that, Ominis." you said with a meaningful pulse on his arm. He gave you an affectionate look.

"It's of no consequence, my adder." he said softly. "I have The Sallows, Nerida and Imelda...and now you." he added with a shy smile."I am quite fortunate by all accounts."

You felt your throat thicken a degree as you held his arm a little tighter, touched by his gentle optimism.

"That is kind to say, Ominis. I am honoured to be included in your new 'family'. You know, I had always dreaded becoming part of one—I'm glad it's not so bad after all." you added cheerfully.

Ominis looked concerned as he slowed his step a beat.

"Why would you dread becoming part of a family?"