The Second Sight

"How is this even down here? It's huge." remarked Sebastian, his voice echoing off the domed space as he stood beside you at the entrance of the ruins.

"We must be really far down—it looks ancient." you replied, moving around the raised level to make for the stone staircase leading to the archway.

"So this is what you were looking for, Bash?" asked Sebastian, craning his neck to try and see the ceiling to the room.

"I think so. It feels a bit like the ruins at Gringotts—which I warn you, may not be a good thing."

Your mind flashed with images of the violent armored soldiers from the bank.

You walked around the crumbling rotunda, flickers of cold light leading you forward, a swirl of ancient magic appearing on the ground. There had been something similar at the Gringotts—and stepping into it had guided you to release an entrance to the cathedral-like chamber.

"Alright, stand back, Seb."

Sebastian had his wand out, watching you carefully from a few feet away.

You took a breath and walked into the well of metallic magic.

The familiar feeling of crackling power rose from your feet, filling your body. You opened your eyes as you felt yourself syncing with the rhythm of the power.

Your body twisted as you arc your wand around you, finally pulling upwards with a gasp as you felt your own magic burst from your chest.

You saw Sebastian shudder as the room filled with cool light, braisers igniting around the room. You turned and sure enough, just as at the coast, you saw a space beyond the archway standing in the center.

"Do you see that long staircase beyond the door?" and you pointed at the archway.

"Stairs? No—I don't see anything." he squinted around. "I felt that you did something—like a wave of energy."

Your lip twitched with irritation, frustrated that you would need to keep explaining what you saw like a child describing an imaginary world.

Maybe if he were closer he could see—something.

You stepped forward and grabbed his hand.

Sebastian yelped as his eyes went wide, head whipping around as his hand clamped hard on yours.

"What the hell—what is this?" he gasped, eyes darting around before stilling at the stone archway.

You looked at him and then at your joined hands.

"You can see it?"

"What are those fires? It's like metal burning—and yes, I see the staircase now—are you doing this, Bash?"

Your mind buzzed as you thought about what this meant. You bit your lip before furrowing your brow.

You dropped his hand.

"—and it's gone." he huffed, his head on a swivel as things went dark for him.

"Skin contact allows people to see ancient magic? Did the Ravenclaw know this?" you wonder. "Miriam is going to daffy when I show her." you smiled with disbelief.

"It's like a form of legilimens." and he gently caught your hand again, marveling at the world you could see. "Also, side point—I'm quite glad you're not insane." he added with a wink.

"Was that a possibility?" you smiled as he started to pull you towards the stairs leading to the archway.

"It was always a risk. Mad girl with strange powers claiming to see ancient magic? Warnings from a dark future? Fairly suspect—but I can see it now. This is incredible, Bash."