A Dragon's Promise

"—and that's Honeydukes. Best sweets. We can stop by there before we leave."

Sebastian had spent the morning giving you a tour of Hogsmeade before taking you to Ollivanders for your new wand.

When you had first arrived through the gates of the wizard village, you were surprised how busy the winding cobbled streets were. There were wizards and witches in a spectrum of robes in every colour. Cats weaved through people's legs and peered down at you from rooftops. You could see many Hogwarts students crowded outside shop windows—especially the one filled with broomsticks.

Sebastian insisted on keeping hold of your hand "so we don't get separated". While it made sense, you couldn't stop your face from burning as you passed a whispering—and pointing, cluster of fourth-year girls.

The shops in Hogsmeade turned out to be dangerously tempting.

Your Slytherin guide pulled you from shop to shop, giving advice about which magical products were useful and the best places for food.

After an hour, you and Sebastian stood outside Zonkos, looking at a display for trick quills that wrote dirty words randomly when used.

"How does it work?" you ask idly, watching with interest as the quill wrote fairly tame expletives on a parchment that then disappeared after a few seconds.

"Eh it's just a charm. It's their potions that are the real deal. They make some incredible stuff." he replied.

"That's right, Garreth told me that. Did you know he wants to design for them? Isn't that amazing?" you ask, smiling with a nose wrinkle at the word 'bollocks' on the parchment.

Sebastian rolled his eyes.

"Yup. Fascinating." he dismissed quickly. "Hey, let's go check out the bookshop, it's close to Ollivanders."

The word "bookshop" had you easily tearing your eyes from the quills to look up at him with delight, nodding excitedly.

"There we go." he breathed with a greedy smile, grabbing your hand and leading you through the thicket of Saturday shoppers to Tomes and Scrolls.

***

After leaving the bookshop, a long list in your head of titles you wanted, you turned your steps towards the wandmaker.

"I want to grab a gift for Anne. I'll meet you at Honeydukes after you get your wand—then maybe we can have a little drink at the Broomstick." he suggested smoothly. You gave him a tired look before smiling.

"Sounds delightful, Seb."

Walking into the wandshop you felt your skin vibrate with magic.

It was a cramped, cozy space stacked with thousands of small boxes. You saw a stooped little old man with a tremendous moustache behind the counter. He looked up when the bell rang, smiling warmly at you.

"Ah, hello my dear! Please come in, come in. I've been expecting you. You are the new Slytherin fifth-year aren't you? I'm Gerbold Ollivander."

You confirmed you were and introduced yourself, shaking his aged, yet surprisingly strong hand.

"Wonderful! Well, you are all set for a wand. Hogwarts provides a fund for students who need it and you have had bursary accounts set up with many shops in town, so we just need to find the wand for you. Please have a seat, I just need to have a look." and with a wave of his spindly wand, pulled a comfy chaise under you, a cup of tea smoothly tucked into your hand.

You smiled widely and thanked him as he left to search his shelves. You watched with curiosity as he tapped his fingers along the ends of the boxes, humming. He kept glancing at you then at the boxes, having some inner debate. After a few minutes he had six wands for you to try. You stood, you nerves spiking as you wiped your hands on your skirt.