Pacts, Purrs and Potions

"Let's have a check by those boulders" Poppy called, waving at you through the trees.

You, Natty and the little Hufflepuff were carefully navigating down a stony incline as you moved through the misty forest, the afternoon sun filtering through the autumn leaves.

Your friends had kindly offered to accompany you on a foraging mission around the castle on your Wednesday off from classes. You had mentioned your plans in Arithmancy the day before and Poppy excitedly offered to give you a walking tour of the woods—having spent a lot of time chasing beasts and researching their behavior amongst its leaves. Natty also seemed quite keen to get out of the castle for some reason, and offered to tag along, providing another pair of eyes.

"So let's see—we have collected Lacewing, Fluxweed, Scupper Berries and some Vikabeattle husks—though, I think you might be rather ambitious looking for a moss ball." added Natty as she looked over the list you had been passing between you.

You had decided to take Anne's advice and collect potion materials for yourself—as well as look for the elusive little moss ball amongst the leaves and vegetation on the forest floor.

"Yes, Garlick said something similar, but I want to try anyways. Plus it's a nice day."

Natty nodded as she started to leap from one log to another, balancing as she held her arms out.

"I'm not complaining. I would rather be here than getting another lecture from my mother." she lamented with a huff, jumping to land in the clearing where Poppy was busy looking up into a hollowed tree.

"Why? Is she upset with you?" Poppy asked.

Natty sighed as she plucked a leaf off a tree and started to hover it around idly with her wand.

"She is just so overprotective. I know that she worries...especially after what happened to my father—but it can be quite suffocating to have her around all the time."

You nodded solemnly at this, biting your lip as you watched the Gryffindor.

Natty had quietly told you after Charms about the death of her father and the reason her mother had relocated to England. Your heart had broken for the brave girl as she blamed herself for her father's murder—no matter what sense you, or anyone seemed to try to make her see.

"Why would she lecture you about safety? Isn't Hogwarts safe?" you ask as you ducked to peer under some ferns.

Natsai gave an awkward cough as you glanced up at her, narrowing your eyes. Her face flickered with guilt and she suddenly became very interested in her wand.

"Natty?" you asked in a warning tone.

"I may be investigating some—criminal activity in the area. There are poachers and scoundrels who have been terrorizing the people of the valley. I wanted to help the Aurors catch them and protect the villagers—but they didn't seem interested in what I had to say." she added with a scowl.

Your eyebrows shot up at this revelation as you threw a worried look at Poppy. Rather than looking concerned however, the Hufflepuff hardened her eyes as she nodded with understanding.

"I have heard that too, Natty. My gran said poachers are taking advantage of the goblin activity to increase their attacks on beasts and shake people down."

You stilled at this, your heart growing heavy as you learned of yet another consequence of the conflict with Ranrok.

"What will you do now?" you ask carefully. Natty looked up as her face set with a determined expression.

"I cannot stand by while murderers and thieves continue to wreak havoc on the innocent people of the valley. Cowards like that must be stopped—especially Harlow." she sneered, rolling her shoulders at the name.