Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Better

I wiped the sweat off my forehead as the jeepney jolted forward. I sat at the back, near the exit where people would get off.

Ellis was beside me, his scent of strawberries lingering in the air. It was a pleasant change from the usual smell of vehicle exhaust, thanks to his cologne.

"Is this what you always do? Commute?" I whispered to him, leaning closer since we were in such close proximity.

He looked at me, furrowing his brow.

"Oo. Tapos ibebenta mo pa ang motor." aniya.

I felt a pang of guilt. Of course, I was just joking about selling his motorcycle. I didn't expect him to take it seriously.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize how challenging commuting can be," I apologized, adjusting my seat even though there was no space left.

It truly is tough, not just because of the cramped space, but also because of the heat. Unlike in my car with air conditioning, here, by the time you reach your destination, you're already drenched in sweat due to the scorching weather.

"Sanay naman ako," he said, but his eyes avoided mine.

Our faces were so close that he couldn't bring himself to look at me. I couldn't even count how many passengers were crammed into this jeepney.

I stared at Ellis for a long time. Our faces were so close that I could see the smoothness of his skin. He had no pores. He wasn't sweating, not even on his forehead.

As I continued to gaze at his face, his cheeks turned red.

I furrowed my brow.

"Huwag mo akong tingnan." tila naiinis n'yang sabi at tingnan na ako.

"I'm not looking at you," I said, looking away.

Just then, my eyes shifted forward. I saw two girls looking at me, giggling while holding a cellphone. I turned my head and raised an eyebrow at them.

Did they just take a picture of me or something?

"Cover me," I absentmindedly told Ellis.

He quickly looked at me, confused.

"Huh?"

"Cover me! Those two girls in front seem to be taking my picture..." I stopped as our eyes met.

An expression of annoyance passed through his eyes before he looked at what I was referring to.

"Baka naman fans mo?"

I sighed. I thought he would be just as irritated.

"What? I'm not happy about it. They're freaking me out," I said, as it was the truth.

Who takes a picture of someone in a jeep without their consent? They should at least show some respect. It's not funny; it's just annoying.

"Anong gagawin ko? Papa-alisin ko sila?" he sarcastically remarked to me.

Irritated, I grabbed his shoulder and turned him to face me.

"Just cover me!" I whispered firmly.

Natawa pa ako dahil muntikan pa siyang mahulog sa lapag ng jeep. He seemed so helpless. Luckily, I held him by the shoulder and he instinctively grasped my arm. I couldn't help but chuckled when he playfully smacked my arm, and his cheeks turned red.

"Gago ka! Kapag ako nahulog!" he threatened.

"Then I'll catch you," I smirked at him.

He adjusted his seat but we were still brushing against each other. All I could see now was his face whenever I looked forward. But it was okay; he had an angelic face that wasn't irritating. Hindi sumasabay sa init ng panahon ang mukha niya.