Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Call

Mommy:

Hi, Kuya. When are you coming home? I miss you.

That's the text I received from my sister while I was having breakfast. I was just scrolling through social media when Mom's number popped up on my screen. I was a bit surprised because she doesn't usually text me, but when I opened it, it turned out to be Rila using her phone.

It made me smile seeing all the emojis she sent me while I was still asleep.

Ako:

I don't know when. Kuya is busy. :D

That's all I could think of as a response to my sister's message. I went back to eating my cereal and didn't go back to scrolling, just waiting for Rila's next text.

Mommy:

She can't text a lot, Austin. I'll call you. Answer it.

After reading that, Mom's number appeared and instead of a call, it was a FaceTime. I answered it and propped my phone against my glass since I didn't have a phone holder.

"Kuya!"

I looked at the camera when I heard that.

My sister's head popped up, and it made me smile. We haven't seen each other for a few days, so seeing her in another house right now, I feel a sense of peace.

For days, I've been wondering if Mommy is taking care of her, if she's being taken to school or having her hair done.

It turns out that the decision for Daddy and Mommy to separate was a better choice, even though it was painful for me. It's okay because Rila is with Mommy. Her young heart is being given time. Her life as a child is being made complete.

It's okay for me. It's okay to feel hurt because of my family. I'm already grown up, you know. I understand everything.

But what about my sister? She doesn't know anything yet. When she grows up, she'll understand all of this too.

"When are you coming home? You don't take me to school anymore..." she pouted at me, her eyes shining.

I didn't know if it was because she saw me or if there were tears welling up in her eyes.

I furrowed my brow.

"I'm still busy, Rila. Maybe next week? But I'm not sure because I have school next week. Why? Are you bored there?" I asked as her face crumpled.

She nodded at me.

She was sitting on the high chair, already in her uniform. It seemed like she was about to leave for school. Her bag was beside her, but her hair was still not tied up.

"Y-yes... I don't have anyone with me in the car. The driver doesn't want to talk to me," her voice trembled.

I was puzzled. Driver? Isn't it Mommy who takes her to school?

"Driver? Who takes you to school then?" I asked, but Mommy appeared behind her with two pink boxes, holding a hairbrush as well.

"Are you going back to school, Austin?" she asked me.

I avoided her gaze before nodding.

"Did your dad deposit money into your bank account?" she added while brushing my sister's hair, who was looking at me with a smile on her lips.

I smiled back at Rila, but when I looked at Mommy, it quickly faded.

"Noong isang araw lang,"

"That's why you were able to buy a car?" she quickly asked again.