Chapter 23

"Are you alright?" Dave pestered me once again reaching for my neck. I backed away giving him a weak smile. "I am now."

It was the last day he and I would have to house to ourselves. Tomorrow my mother would be back, and I'd be left to fend for myself. Damien hadn't returned, and for that I couldn't have been more thankful.

"Dave?" I called out to him from where I sat on the couch. After the incident, he had been checking in on me frequently. Almost enough to be considered annoying, but I knew his heart was in a good place.

As his head turned towards me, I continued, "My parents are going to be back tomorrow, and you'll have to go home."

He flinched at my words, shaking his head. "I wish you could just move in with me."

I almost laughed aloud. My mother would never let that happen. "I might be able to get away with visiting on the weekends." I chimed in hopefully. This was true.

"Besides, we are coworkers. We have to work on things outside of the classroom right." I cupped his right cheek and gave him an encouraging smile.

"I don't like the thought of you being here without me." He admitted shaking his head. "How am I supposed to keep you safe?" He reached up, covering my hand with his.

"I'm sure my parents won't let anything happen to me." I eyed him, expecting to see relief only to be met with uncertainty. He was really protective. Perhaps over protective, but I didn't mind really.

Dave and I tidied up the house, making it seem as if no one had been there all weekend. We ordered Chinese food for dinner, and watched some tv while sitting closely.

When it started getting closer to 10 o'clock I realized he would have to leave soon to ensure my parents wouldn't see him. With my father's hunting trip he was likely to show up as early as 4 AM, and I couldn't risk Dave being seen.

I watched solemnly as he grabbed his bag. Slinging it over his shoulders his arms outstretched towards me, inviting me in for a hug. I rushed towards him, squeezing him firmly.

"Hey, I'll see you tomorrow." I glanced up, finding comfort in his sheepish grin.

"Until tomorrow." I said, almost as if I was reminding myself. He wrapped his strong arms around me once again, he bent down to gently kiss my neck. I wanted to hold him there as long as possible. Freeze him in the moment if I could.

I finally pulled away, and sighed. "What's wrong?" He asked with concern. His eyes studied my expression.

"I'm just really gonna miss you." I frowned. My mind frantically flashed to Damien, and the things he might do to me if he knew I was going to be here alone.

"I'll see you tomorrow at school, baby. Don't worry." He gave me an encouraging smile, and kissed my forehead. My heart skipped a couple beats as he called me baby. I wanted to hear him say it a thousand times more.

I lingered in the doorway, watching silently, as he loaded up into his car. Just before he stepped in, he glanced my way. "You let me know if that bastard comes back." His face held a look of disgust.

I smiled gently and nodded my head. If Damien were to come back again, Dave might genuinely kill him as he had promised.

I waved goodbye as his car took off down our driveway. After locking the door, I immediately went into the kitchen and grabbed our largest kitchen knife. I felt much safer holding it tightly by my side.

Crawling into bed, I knew sleep would be a challenge. I tossed and turned uncomfortably for hours as visions of Damien's face played in my head, relentlessly.