Chapter 24

"Hey Li, you okay?" Stacey asked, concern stirring in her chocolate eyes.

Damien had left soon after I fell asleep. However, my eyes were heavy with deep purple bags, exposing my tiredness.

"Of course." I smiled in an attempt to dissipate her concern. We were standing in the halls waiting for the bell to dismiss us to lunch. "Just didn't sleep too good."

She parted her lips as if she wanted to say something only to be interrupted by Max coming around the corner. We hadn't spoken to one another since the party. "Hey Stace," He grinned hesitantly at my best friend.

She answered with an eye roll before telling me," Come on Lila, we're going to be late." She hooked her arm in mine, and spun on her heels. However, before we could take off, Max grabbed her free arm.

"Stacey don't be angry." He sighed.

It was as if her sweet chocolate eyes were set ablaze. "Don't be angry?" She spat. "Who the fuck is Damien, Max?" His face grew pale at the mention of his name.

"I-I Um," He stuttered averting his gaze.

Stacey began to mock his stutter before pointing a sharp manicured nail into his chest. "Figure out what the fuck you want to say before you talk me. Matter of fact, scratch that. Next time, you better have an explanation, and a damn good one. Or so help me God I will shove my foot so far up your-" As Stacey's threat grew louder, Max jumped forward and covered her mouth.

"You can't talk about that stuff here Stace, it could get us all killed." Fear swam in his eyes. "Come with me to my truck during lunch, and I promise I'll tell you everything."

His eyes shifted to me, "You too Lila."

My heart began to jump with uncertainty. I'd know Max for years, but after the party I want exactly sure if I could trust him anymore.

Just then the bell rang, hungry teenagers began to scatter towards the cafeteria while Max grabbed Stacey's hand, and Stacey grabbed mine. Technically we were not allowed in the parking lot until after school hours. However, it was possible if you managed to make your way out unnoticed.

Pushing through the doors, Lucas fished in his pockets for his black truck key. His vehicle wasn't far from the doors. After pressing the unlock button, we all climbed into the front seat with Stacey sandwiched in the middle.

Max sighed before continuing, "I know you know, Lila. I know you know about Damien and all the baggage that follows."

Stacey looked at me, annoyed. "Well, I don't so spill the beans."

"Lucas, and I ran into them at a party last summer. We wanted to be apart of the gang, but it's not that easy. We had to show our dedication to them first."

"And why the hell would you want to be in a gang?" Stacey arched an eyebrow at him.

"There's a lot of money circulating in gangs right now. We both were desperate." He licked his lips.

"Lucas and I were almost done. We just had one final test." Max's guilt ridden eyes flashed to me causing my stomach to churn.

"We had to get you to that party." He pointed a pasty finger at me.

"Why me?" I asked timidly. Stacey place a consoling arm around my shoulders.

"He wants revenge for something that happened in the past with Dave."

"When you say revenge what do you mean?" My throat began to lose its moisture.

"He didn't say." Max shook his head full of red curls.

"Hold on a damn minute. If you're apart of this gang now, why the hell are you telling us this?" Stacey interjected.

"I backed out."

"Yeah right. As if someone would put all that work in just to back out last second." Stacey huffed. She reached over my lap and opened the door.

"Next time you want to waste our lunch period, the least you could do is grab us a sandwich." Stacey began to scoot over, forcing me out of the car. Just as I looked back, expecting to see Stacey next to me, Max grabbed her wrist.

With my friend still sitting in the seat, two legs dangling out of the car, he continued, "Stacey. The thought of you getting hurt, I" He closed his mouth looking into her eyes.

"I backed out because I could tell you were in danger. Nothing in the world is worth you getting hurt. Same for you Lila." He nodded at me.

Stacey's cheeks began to redden. "What about Lucas?"

Max eyes averted to his lap. "Well, h-he didn't back down."

"And by that you mean?" Only deep down I knew what he meant. I just needed to hear it.

"He's with Damien now."

Chapter 24! I can't tell you how good it feels to write again. Also, this book will not be done by chapter 25. Vote & comment!! 12/17/23