Chapter 1

My fingers were drumming on the wooden table as I attempted to get interested in my book. I'd come to the conclusion that the English teacher, Mrs. Stuckey, was definitely trying to ruin my social life. Sighing in defeat I closed the horrid thing shoving it into my bag carelessly.

It was seventh period, and since I had a study hall I was forced to entertain myself in the library. With only 10 minutes of school remaining I chose to wait it out. There were only a few students accompanying me, but they were already nose deep in books.

I smiled kindly to the librarian as she eyed me curiously. She didn't return my kindness, but instead acted as if she didn't notice me turning her attention to whoever was next in line. I wasn't really bothered by her actions. After all she and I weren't on very good terms after I made her drop a pile of lost book forms.

I rested my head on my arms, and breathed deeply. A nap was sounding great right now. As I rested my eyes, and listened to the peaceful hum of computers I'd almost missed the announcement. "Excuse me teachers. Would Lila Evergreen please come to the front office? Thank you." A click indicated that it was over and my head raised automatically. I was greeted by the uncomfortable stare of my fellow peers who were looking to me curiously.

Noisily I grabbed my bag which result in a glare from the librarian. She was looking rather smug almost as if justice was about to be delivered. I shook off the uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach as I made my way to the office who directed me to the Principle. My anxiety was growing which made me feel like I was going to throw up.

"Ah! Miss Evergreen." His smile indicated I was in no trouble, and he motioned for me to have a seat. "Well I'm not one to beat around the bush, so I'll just cut to the chase." His pale blue eyes were studying me closely, while his light gray hair, and moustache almost looked white. Although he was in his fifties he was fairly attractive.

I nodded for him to continue, "Well I'd like to offer you a job position at Woodward High." I scrunched up my nose at his offer. It didn't really make sense after all. With my grades I could be a surgeon, and he wanted me to teach?

Before I had a chance to open my mouth he stated, "I know how you have a free period which is seventh, and I happen to have a struggling biology teacher with the same period." I cut his sentence short shaking my head, "You want me to take over his position?" I question unsurely.

"No, no. Of course not. His class is far too big, and they aren't learning anything." He added shaking his head reassuringly. I twiddled my fingers nervously and nodded. "So basically he needs an assistant, and with passing the class with a nearly perfect score I thought.."

I spoke up cutting him off and said a little more confidently, "No offense, but why would I give up a free period to teach a subject I've already learned?" He nodded his understandingly. "We'll pay you."

He gave me a couple of forms which would hire me for the job after my parents, and myself signed it. I was still curious as to who the teacher was, and he explained we would discuss the topic further tomorrow when the bell rang. I wasn't really sure how my mom would react. She was unusually protective, and I was scarcely was allowed to do things.

"So its during school, and you get paid?" My mother's intense hazel eyes questioned the paper in her hands. "Well I don't see why not." She shrugged and scribbled her signature onto the form. I felt rather shocked, but in a good way. We never bothered asking dad his opinion. After all mom was the boss.

I squealed and embraced her in a hug once she handed me back the paper. After running to my room like a child I thought it'd be nice to wear something more professional than my usual jeans and t-shirt. Eventually I decided on a nice shirt that I hadn't wore yet, and a pair of ankle high black boots. Although it wasn't the fanciest it would do.

My excitement was distracting my sleep. The thought of my working tomorrow still had me in shock, and I found myself tossing back and forth restlessly. Eventually I had to force myself to stay still until I became tired, and finally I drifted off to sleep.

This chapter was kinda short, but the next should be longer. It's already half way completed so expect it soon! Vote or comment whether I should continue or not. Thanks for reading! 8/28/16
-Haley