10

Two weeks had passed and Joe was cleared to play. The week before his first game back, he was allowed at practice, so I was by myself.

Luckily, I had a lot to record, so I flew to the studio and worked on that a bit. One was a song set to be released by Friday, and the other just for safe keeping.

Both of them were features on songs by Noah Kahan, who is the most chill person I've ever met. Usually on features, the artist tries to control everything about your part, but he let me do whatever I wanted.

We also decided that since he was going to be playing a show in Columbus, that I could join him.

Safe to say that I'm having tour withdrawals.

A few days before the game against Pittsburgh, Joe left a note on the table with five VIP passes. The note said "So that your dad can see the Steelers get beat up close. -J"

The game was in Pittsburgh, which was definitely an advantage for the other team. Or I guess, my hometown team.

Another thing that was blowing my mind was that there was something called the "Conners Curse". They put together a stat that says when I'm in attendance, Joe throws over three-hundred yards.
The "curse" is that when I'm not there, Joe goes below three-hundred yards.

Thankfully I'd been to two of the four games, so Joe was having a great season, minus the concussion.

Ella and I drove up to Pittsburg the day before the game to stay with my parents. As we pulled into the driveway, I was buzzing with excitement. I hadn't seen them in almost a year.

"Collie!" My dad is the first person to my car door and I leap into his arms.

"I've missed you," I whisper, and squeeze him, "I have a surprise for you."

I turn around and reach into the car, pulling out the tickets from the center console, "Joey got us box tickets and field access. For you, mom, and the boys."

"Really?" His eyes light up and he snatches the lanyards out of my hand, "They're for us?"

"Yes," I chuckle and smile at him. I'd never seen him get so excited.

"Jackie, did you know about this?" He looks across the car at my mom and Ella.

My mom shakes her head, "No, what is it?"

"Two tickets for the game tomorrow, from Joe," he hands the lanyards back to me and starts unloading the suitcases from the back of the car.

"Sounds like you're warming up to the kid," my mom chuckles and walks around the car to me, "Colette, honey, I've missed you."

"I've missed you too, mom," I hug her tightly and we begin walking into the house, Ella right behind us.

"So tell me more about this boy," she grabs my hand, "you're so reserved over the phone, most of the information we get is through the media."

"What do you want to know?"

She grins, "Is he sweet? Is he mean? Does he like cats or dogs? What's he allergic to?"

"Mom," I laugh, "this feels like an interrogation."

"I just want to know more about him," she shrugs innocently and walks into the kitchen, "you seem more domestic with him than anyone else you've been with."

"Well," I think for a moment, "he's kind, but serious. His mind is always onto the next thing. He likes cats more than dogs. And he's allergic to pine."

"Do you think you have a future with him?" She asks, weary of the response.

"Yeah," I nod, trying to keep the giddy smile off of my face, "I do."