13

The next morning I wake up early to make breakfast. However, we had no groceries. Last night we got takeout from a cafe down the road, but we didn't even think about actual food.

"Joey," I whisper and rub his back.

He hums.

"I have to go to the store to get some groceries. I'll be back in a little while," I say, and his eyes shoot open.

"Can I come?"

I shrug, "If you want. I was gonna let you sleep in."

"We can sleep all the time," he sits up, "how many times a week can you peacefully go grocery shopping?"

He had a point. Neither of us could get our own groceries anymore because it attracted too much attention. But I didn't think anyone would be out at 8 in the morning in a small town in Maine. Not only that, but I knew almost every person in this town. Or at least I did.

"You're right," I stand up, "I'll be downstairs."

"Mm," he hums.

When I'm downstairs I start really looking at all of the pictures of my brothers and I. We were so little, even the last one we took. Cowen's broad shoulders from college football hadn't come in yet, I still wore my glasses, and Cade didn't have the little bit of facial hair that he does now.

I took a picture of it and sent it to our family group chat. Cade and Cowen's first response was 'Why are you at Water House?' Eventually Cowen said 'I bet Joe's there too' and Cade replied 'Probably, leave her alone'

And then the two got in an argument.

"I'm ready," Joe says as he walks into the hallway.

"Okay," I smile and we make our way out to the rental car. The grocery store was no further than 5 miles, but the scenery made it feel even shorter. The waves, the boats, the trees, all of it.

The parking lot was empty except for a few cars belonging to the people who worked there.

When we walked in, it was silent other than some music playing over the speakers. We grabbed a cart and began scanning the aisles.

"Question." Joe asks before putting some cereal into the basket.

I grin, "Shoot."

"Why were you up so early?"

I sigh, "I was going to make you breakfast in bed, but we didn't have any food."

"I'm glad," he chuckles, "I like doing domestic tasks. They make me feel more normal."

"Even though we are the farthest thing from normal," I say, and he nods in agreement, "but we can't complain because we wanted this life."

"Eh, I just wanted to play in the NFL. The publicity part just goes with it," he shrugs as we turn the corner.

"Shoot, I forgot to grab vanilla, will you grab a carton of milk from over there," I give him pleading eyes and he nods.

I turn around and walk to the other end of the aisle where I knew the vanilla extract would be. I'm so focused that I don't even hear footsteps approaching me.

"Colette, you've grown up," I hear a guys voice, and I look up to see Miles, my old summer fling. His voice was deeper, he was a bit taller, his hair was darker, but it was still the same Miles.

"Miles, it's been a while," I chuckle.

He nods, "No kidding. It looks like you've made something good out of yourself."

"I hope so," I nod, "I've worked damn hard for it."

"Yeah I bet you have," he smiles, "are you all back? Or is it just you?"