A dive into uncertain depths

"Golden? Like your eyes?", Rain asked in a panicked voice that was way too high.

"It's just a slight shimmer that you could easily miss as a human, but a vampire can see it," Phayu explained, leaning closer to him to get a better look at his eyes.

"But how is that possible?"

Rain looked at Phayu questioningly and a deep wrinkle formed on his forehead, which Phayu lovingly smoothed out with his thumb.

"Don't worry babe, we'll figure it out. Saifah should know more. Let's clean up and look for him, okay?" Phayu kissed Rain on the forehead, who nodded in agreement.

When Rain and Phayu arrived at the tent, Saifah was still busy checking up on the last bike when he suddenly looked up and saw his brother's worried look.

"Phayu, what's wrong?", he asked curiously and then looked into Rain's cloudy face.

"Nong, what-?" Saifah stopped in the middle of his sentence. Instead, his eyes widened when he saw the golden glimmer in Rain's eyes. He ignored the bite marks on both of their necks for now.

"He bit me while we were fu-..."

"Yeah, yeah, spare me the details," Saifah interrupted.

A crooked grin appeared on Phayu's face as Rain looked more and more like a tomato.

"As you can see, Rain bit me pretty hard."

Phayu stretched his neck towards Saifah to give him a better look at the bite mark as he winked at Rain, who looked at him worriedly. Through their bond, he sent a warm wave of emotions to Rain, reassuring him that he was fine and that he did like what Rain had done there in the camper. Rain closed his eyes and tilted his head back slightly, seemingly enjoying the warm wave of feelings that Phayu sent. That was exactly the desired reaction he had in mind.

"A bite is not enough to be transformed and yet Rain's eyes shimmer gold but his teeth still resemble those of a human, they are not fangs. How could this happen, Saifah?" Phayu asked tensely.

Meanwhile, Saifah rubbed his chin and thought hard about his brother's words, who was growing impatient and folding his strong arms over his big chest. Now it was Rain who moved closer to him, wrapping his arms around Phayu's middle and trying to calm him with his touch. Phayu placed a warm hand on Rain's arms to appreciate the gesture.

"So?"

"I have absolutely no idea how this happened, but I have a guess," Saifah said.

"And what is your guess?", Rain asked in a small voice, cause he was afraid of the answer.

"Give me some time to check it out. I want to be sure it's true before I worry you. I'll ask around in our community and let you know as soon as I know something more," Saifah promised while looking into two worried faces. Well, one face also looked very angry and stubborn at him, but Saifah wanted to be sure cause he was fishing in unknown waters. He couldn't just say something that wasn't true and cause unnecessary turmoil for Phayu and Rain. This matter was serious and potentially life-changing.
Sensing Phayu's clenching jaw, he placed a steadying hand on his shoulder and assured him that he would hurry up and drop everything immediately. They both nodded briefly to each other before Saifah left the tent and disappeared into the roaring crowd.

"Are you okay?"

Phayu took Rain's face in his hands and examined him from all sides to make sure he didn't miss anything.

"I'm okay, I feel the same as usual, I just need some distraction until Saifah knows something."

Phayu still looked down at his heartmate with concern and thought how brave Rain was in this uncertain situation.