XXII

Chapter 22: I'm Coming Home

The group piled into their mode of transportation: a carriage. It felt like stepping back in time, a bizarre choice for a ride in the modern era. Haerin, Minji, the others in their own carishes beside each other, entered with a mix of excitement and confusion, greeted by an interior adorned with odd symbols that gave off an ancient vibe.

The doors creaked open, revealing plush velvet seats and tapestries that seemed to tell stories of both the past and the future. Haerin, always composed, took the lead, prompting Minji to follow suit. They settled into the oddly magical carriage, their expressions ranging from awe to uncertainty.

Once in motion, the surroundings transformed. Crestwood Heights disappeared, replaced by a surreal landscape of mountains and forests. Inside the carriage, a reflective silence took hold. Haerin and Minji exchanged glances, a tacit acknowledgment of the gravity of the impending journey.

As the carriage moved forward, it became a space for introspection, a respite from the chaos of battles and wars. The ride served as a bridge between a tumultuous past and an uncertain future, a brief pause before the next chapter unfolded.

The flickering lights drew Minji's attention, causing her to glance upward. Haerin's eyes lingered on Minji's neck, her gaze intense and lingering, as if captivated by a secret. Her eyes traced the delicate curve of Minji's neck, a subtle curiosity flickering in their depths. It was as if Haerin sought answers in the contours of that exposed skin, a silent inquiry lingering between them.

In the solitude of that moment, they found themselves accompanied solely by the silent presence of their suitcases, silent witnesses to the private scene unfolding between them. The room, devoid of other onlookers, Haerin broke the silence, her eyes fixed on Minji. "We've been through a lot, haven't we?" she remarked, her tone carrying the weight of shared experiences.

Minji met her gaze, a flicker of understanding passing between them. "More than I could have imagined," she replied, a subtle smile playing on her lips.

The atmosphere inside the carriage remained charged with unspoken tension until the door glided open. Haerin exchanged a glance with Winter before the intrusion began.

"I can't endure her questions any longer. I'm coming in," Winter declared, pushing her way into the carriage and claiming a spot next to Haerin, who wore a subtly bothered expression.

Karina, with a polite greeting, joined them, taking a respectful seat beside Minji, who shifted to make room. The question hanging in the air found its way into the conversation.

"So, what happens now?" Minji deadpanned, prompting Winter to shoot a pointed look at a bashful Karina. Clearing her throat, Karina ventured into the inquiry.

"I was wondering, what it was like to be mated," she said shyly. Minji's eyes widened, and Haerin perked up, sensing the weight of the topic at hand.

"Ah, the intricacies of vampire lore," Haerin began, her voice carrying a subtle resonance. "Let me paint you a picture, a portrait of the immortal bond that transcends time and existence."

Minji, feeling the weight of Haerin's favorite subject, couldn't help but shrink into the seat. Karina, however, hung onto every word that flowed from Haerin's vampire-infused speech.

It was going to be a long ride.