XXIII

Chapter 23: Stay With Me
ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ♡ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

The town exuded a chilly antiquity, where time seemed to move slower, leaving its inhabitants with little to do but wait. Minji's abode, nestled among the town's quiet streets, housed her family – her father. The neighbor, a few doors down, added a touch of familiarity to the tranquil surroundings.

As Minji stepped out of the car, she paid the aging driver, watching him lug the luggage inside. A pang of guilt tugged at her; she could have easily carried it all herself, and the driver seemed worn from the effort. Unlocking the door to her home, she called out, "I'm home!" The echo of her voice bounced off the walls, met only by silence.

The interior of the house spoke volumes about its history. Worn wooden floors creaked underfoot, bearing witness to the passage of time. Antique furniture adorned the living room, and faded family photographs lined the walls, capturing moments frozen in nostalgia. The air held a scent of memories, a blend of comfort and time's gentle decay. Yet, despite the stillness, the house seemed to cradle stories within its walls, stories waiting to unfold in the quiet town that time had forgotten.

Minji felt the weight of farewell to Crestwood, a place she had grown accustomed to, a view etched in her memory. The decision to take a break brought her to Rainy Forks, a town perpetually draped under the veil of rain. With a population of 30,008, it stood as a tranquil refuge from the bustling life she left behind.

As she set her bags down, tucking strands of hair behind her ears, Minji took in the surroundings. Rainy Forks, despite its small size, held a unique charm. Her father, a sheriff, wasn't home at the moment, adding a layer of solitude to the quiet town. Although she used to spend weekends here during every summer, this time it felt different – a more permanent arrangement until the call to return.

Her room, a cozy yet chilly space, captured the essence of Rainy Forks. The window, strategically placed by her bed, offered glimpses of the rainy town. A scattered desk, adorned with books she no longer needed, reflected the simplicity of life in this haven. One of the best things about this house, Minji pondered, was its detachment from Crestwood, allowing her to embrace a different pace of life, if only for a little while.

She paused and looked out the window, the house opposite her, was always empty, it was big and old, she sighed crossing her arms, she needed to crank up the heating, but first- she flinched, the house phone ringing, she sighed and ran downstairs and stood in the hallways, "hello?" She said, "Minji," her dad's familiar voice resonated through the phone. "How's Forks treating you?" he inquired.

Leaning against the wall, Minji glanced out at the perpetually empty house opposite hers. "It's... different," she replied, a subtle sigh escaping her lips. "I miss Crestwood, but I guess it's a nice change."

Her dad chuckled warmly. "Give it some time. You might find the charm in the quiet."

"I'll try," Minji said, a small smile playing on her lips. "I'll be home soon, don't wait up," he said. After a brief conversation, she hung up, realizing the chill in the air had intensified. Cranking up the heating became her immediate priority, and with that, she set out to make Rainy Forks feel a bit more like home.

Minji sighed softly, pondering what to do now that she was alone. She bit her lip, deep in thought, before deciding to dial a number.

"Hello?" Minji heard, and relief washed over her as she recognized Bella's voice. She chuckled softly. "Bella." There was a gasp on the other end. "Minji?" Bella questioned, and Minji nodded, even though she knew Bella couldn't see it. "It's me," she said sheepishly. Bella scoffed softly. "Oh my god," she exclaimed. "We have to catch up," Minji suggested eagerly, wanting to reunite with her best friend. "Totally. Meet at the diner? Maybe 4," Bella proposed. "Yeah, see you," Minji agreed. "Jesus, yeah, see you," Bella mockingly echoed before laughing softly and hanging up. Minji put the phone back, smiling to herself.