XXVIII

Chapter 28: Further Apart
ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ♡ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

The train station buzzed with activity, a chaotic symphony of hurried footsteps and echoing announcements. "This is not making the most of it," Hyein muttered under her breath, her frustration evident as she navigated through the bustling crowd, wheeling her suitcase behind her.

Yunjin kept her head low, a black cap shading her eyes as she focused on weaving through the throngs of people. All she wanted was to reach the right platform, board the train, and finally arrive at school. Her thoughts drifted to Hanni, her friend who was unwell, and she hoped that being back at school would offer her the distraction she needed. And maybe, just maybe, she could find a moment to talk to Minji in person, instead of relying on phone calls to stay connected.

Hyein glanced over at Yunjin, sensing her friend's inner turmoil. "We'll get through this," she said, offering a reassuring smile. "Once we're back at school, things will start looking up."

Yunjin nodded, grateful for Hyein's support. "Yeah, you're right," she replied, trying to push aside her concerns and focus on the hope of better days ahead.

Feeling utterly drained, Minji dragged her bags wearily, each step heavier than the last. As she reached the bustling square of the train station, she glanced up at the electronic screens displaying departure information. "Platform 6," it read, and she sighed, steeling herself for the climb ahead.

Surveying the maze of stairs leading to the platforms, Minji couldn't help but groan inwardly at the prospect of hauling her luggage up each step. However, just as she was about to resign herself to the task, she felt a weight lifted from her shoulders. Turning, she saw Haerin effortlessly shouldering her bulky bag, a mischievous wink directed her way.

Suppressing the urge to roll her eyes at Haerin's cheekiness, Minji felt a wave of gratitude wash over her. With Haerin's help, they trudged onward, finally reaching platform 6. It was there that Minji's eyes landed on a familiar figure with vibrant orange hair.

"Yunjin!" Minji exclaimed, relief flooding her voice as she hurried over to her friend. They embraced tightly, the exhaustion of the journey momentarily forgotten as they shared whispered words of reunion.

As they held each other in a tight embrace, Minji felt a sense of comfort wash over her. It had been too long since she had seen Yunjin in person, and the familiar warmth of her friend's presence was exactly what she needed in that moment.

"I missed you," Minji whispered, her voice filled with sincerity as they finally pulled apart.

Yunjin smiled, her eyes reflecting the same sentiment. "I missed you too," she replied, a hint of relief evident in her tone. "It's good to see you."

Minji nodded, a small smile playing at the corners of her lips. "It's good to see you too," she echoed, feeling a weight lift from her shoulders now that she was reunited with her friend.

Together, they made their way to the designated platform, chatting animatedly as they caught up on each other's lives.

Minji's heart swelled with emotion as she hugged Danielle and Hyein tightly, grateful for their presence in her life. Turning her attention to Hanni, seeing her on her feet was a reassuring sight.

"How are you?" Minji asked, her voice filled with genuine concern.

Hanni smiled weakly. "Tired, and sick, but happy to see you," she replied, her words laced with warmth despite her condition.

Minji hugged Hanni tightly, her heart heavy with guilt. "I'm so sorry," she whispered, her voice thick with emotion.

Hanni gently pulled away from the embrace, her smile softening. "Don't be," she insisted. "It'll be a great conversation starter," she added with a hint of humor, trying to lighten the mood.