[6]

"Oiii, Sanjiii! It's been a while!"

"Sanji-kun! I'm glad we made it in time!"

Sanji should've expected this. He should've known his friends wouldn't leave him to figure this out on his own. By all means, they were right to come considering the position he found himself in. But he couldn't see a way out and didn't want them to get hurt. He wished Eira hadn't gone off on her open and had joined them. She wouldn't encourage the plan formulating in his mind. She would understand his reasons, but would find another way to get his friends to let him go for now.

Everyone in the carriage and the cart behind turned to find the owners of the voices. His captain was running at them waving his arms while a tree with a face followed behind, the orange-haired navigator perched on top waving one of her own. The cook was momentarily stunned until Luffy launched himself at the carriage. He almost laughed at Yonji's facial expression as the energetic boy latched onto the door, shaking the entire carriage.

"We're here to pick you up, Sanji! Let's go! You said you'd be back in the note but I didn't wanna wait. I was gonna come by myself but you know I-"

A strong kick knocks the carriage door of its hinges, sending Luffy flying, effectively cutting him off. The procession coming to a halt.

"What're you doing, Sanji-kun?" Nami's panicked voice questions.

Pushing past the war in his mind, Sanji glares down at his captain. "Get packing, you low-class pirates! My name is Vinsmoke Sanji, a prince of the Germa Kingdom. I'm sorry for keeping it a secret, I thought it'd make you miserable if you knew. The difference between our standings couldn't be clearer. I'll have a happier life marrying Big Mom's beautiful daughter than going back to that crappy ship. Don't take my note seriously, I won't go back with you. I can't believe you came all the way here but thanks for your trouble. Get out of here!"

"Screw that!" Luffy exclaims angrily. "What're you even talking about?"

Yonji tries to butt in, only to be denied by Sanji. The cook versus the captain. 'It has to be like this. They have to let me go, for their own safety' is the only thing running through the blonde's mind as he steps off the carriage.

"Get packing," Sanji says again stopping his approach a short distance away from Luffy. "I don't know what made you come, but I appreciate that you the effort. However, you should've done the opposite since I'll be joining the rich and powerful Big Mom Pirates. I'll be happier."

Before he can stop himself, Sanji adds, "I'm not sure about you becoming the King of the Pirates to be honest."

'That'll make him leave. He has to before it's too late.'

"Stop, Sanji-kun! Why're you saying these things?" Nami asks, only to gasp as she receives a glare in return.

"So all this time you've just been fooling me?"

"Yes. I've actually been looking down on you." Sanji lifts his leg, the lower half igniting with flames as he prepares to fight. "I bet you didn't see it coming, so it's probably hard to accept. I'll prove it to you. Get ready."

'I'm sorry, Luffy.'

"Diable Jambe..." Sanji pushes off the ground and lands a fiery kick right in his captain's face, "Joue Shot!"

Luffy flies backward but lands on his feet, only to have a tooth fall out and his nose start bleeding. "I'm not gonna fight you!"

"Then go away!"

"I'm not gonna do that either!"

Sanji lands kick after kick while Luffy makes no move to fight back or even to defend himself, just refusing to go down and let his friend go.

The one-sided duel eventually ends as the captain of the Straw Hats finally reaches his limit. He falls to the ground face first as Sanji's final attack knocks him out. The male left standing stares before turning to make his way back to his family.

Descending the tree to check on the boy, Nami yells his name as she runs towards him. Shaking the boy, the girl's eyes fill with tears as he lays there unresponsive. Worry turns to anger as she sets eyes on Sanji's figure.

"Hey. Sanji." Nami says sternly.

His almost solemn figure pauses his walk, turning to face her, only to be met with a strong slap to his left cheek.

"Goodbye."

Sitting back down in the carriage, he props his right elbow on the armrest, covering his eyes with his hand. 'This is it.' He thinks. 'They'll be safe now.'

But a loud voice echoes through the valley as the procession begins to move again.

"Wait! Sanji!" His captain's angry voice yells. "'Low-class pirate?' I know you were just saying these things! Stop lying! Did you think you could send me away that easily? Screw that! No matter how many times you kick me, you're the one that gets hurt!"

Sanji lets the tears fall hearing the emotion and understanding in his words.

"Our journey isn't over yet! I'll be here waiting! If you don't come back, I'll be here starving to death! You're the cook of my ship and I won't eat anything that's not made by you! Even if I get hungry or spears rain down on me, I'll stay right here and wait!

Without you, I can't become the King of the Pirates!"

Yeah, Sanji should've expected this.