[13]

'What am I doing?' were the only words rattling in Sanji's brain as he made a break for the rendezvous point.

Sprinting out of the castle and through the rain, his instincts weren't going to let him stop for anyone or anything. Not until he reached his captain who promised to wait for him. He was on autopilot, determined to deliver the food that he had originally made for Pudding to the person that would appreciate it the most.

"Luffy!" Sanji called when he reached the valley. With no immediate response, he moved through the remnants of the battlefield while flashbacks of the one-sided fight coursed through his mind.

"You said you'd be here waiting!"

His search turned frantic and he started to run, grabbing at any unconscious body that even slightly resembled the rubber man.

"Luffyyy!" Sanji's worried voice echoed. He drops to his hand and knees almost ready to give up.

A stomach rumbles in the distance, loud enough for the blonde to hear. He shoots up knowing exactly who it is.

His find the familiar figure propped up against a fallen tree, eyes closed. Sanji feels relief taking over his body as he takes in the starving, worn out form of his captain who kept his promise.

"Sanji..." Luffy's eyes open when he catches the scent of food, a weak smile present on his face. "I've been waiting for you. You're late."

The cook struggles to meet his eyes but drops the basket of food in front of Luffy when his stomach starts to rumble again. "I didn't ask you to wait. You made that promise on your own accord. You've always been like that, selfish and forcing things on others."

"But you came."

"Eat what you can." Sanji scoffs, turning and walking a short distance away while Luffy takes out the meal. "I dropped it on my way here. It's wet and a bit crushed. It's just another failure, isn't it?"

"It's the best food ever! You put all our favorites in here! Yum!" Luffy's ever-present genuineness showers Sanji in praise reminding him of his mother.

But it also makes him feel worse.

Luffy stands once he finishes the food, radiating energy like it never left. "Oh that was so good! I almost faded into nothing!"

"If you're finished, leave. I'm not going back."

"Why?!"

"First, I insulted my captain who came all this way for me. I tried my best to hurt you and you didn't even fight back. Second, everyone at Baratie has been taken hostage. And third, my evil biological family and childhood friend have been trapped by Big Mom. They'll all be killed. I resent my father and brothers but I can't turn my back on them! If you understand, get lost."

There's no verbal response, but Sanji can feel the building anger. Especially when a fist meets his cheek and sends him flying into the tree Luffy had previously been leaning on.

"Say what you really want!"

Sanji knew Luffy had a knack for getting straight to the point when it mattered. But he couldn't help being as shocked as he was when it was directed at him.

He hesitated, tears streaming down his face as he thought about the life he had built.

"Luffy, I- I want to go back to the Sunny! But I don't have the courage to run away and I won't be able to stop anything on my own once the wedding begins. I don't consider them family but I want to save their lives! Eira's going to suffer the same fate and I can't let that happen."

"Well, that's just how you are." His captain agrees with a nod and a wide smile. "You've got us! We're gonna crash that wedding!"

Like a sign that everything was going to be ok, the rain suddenly stops and the sky clears. Sanji finally feels like he can breathe again.

"Luffy, Eira mentioned you two met in Dressrosa."

"Yeah! She's super nice and really strong. She chipped in to buy some food when I got hungry and helped me win our block to move onto the final round in the arena. She took down one of Doflamingo's executives."

Sanji wasn't sure how to bring it up, but words just started spilling out of his mouth. "We grew up together, Eira's considered Germa royalty. And she's here, well not here-here, at least not right now. She was on the island but said she had to take care of an issue, so she left but will be back for the tea party and wedding. I care about her a lot, like have feelings for her, so I need to save her."

"I know. She told me." Was all his captain said, still smiling.

"Huh?"

"Eira was the one who freed me and Nami when we got captured! She told us the royalty thing, said she didn't mention that she knew you out of respect for you and because she was undercover. I took off to find you, but I left Nami with her and Jimbei."

"So the pressing situation she left to go handle, was freeing you two. How'd she know? And Jimbei's here too?" Sanji mumbled then shook his head to get back on track. "Look, Eira told me she dreams of being free. She grew up in training and is expected to be the perfect soldier. She spent two years away on missions trying to get even the smallest taste of it, but Reiju said she came running back to save me. I don't think I can leave her behind again. Eira deserves more than the life she was forced into."

"Oh, then you can convince her to join the crew! I asked her before we went our separate ways. Everyone agreed with me, including Zoro who wanted to train with her, but she said she couldn't."

"Huh?!"

"Yeah, we all really like her!"

"Well l'm glad, I hope the others do too. I'll talk to Eira when I get a chance."

"Great! Now, we have to figure out how to meet up with them. They'll be happy when they hear you're coming back."

Sanji sighs remembering Nami's expression that morning. His head falls at the thought that she might not want him to come back after what he did.

"Nami and the others care about you." His captain reassures him.

It's peaceful between them for a few moments before a familiar voice calls Luffy's name, disturbing the quiet.

"Chopper?"

A/N: Happy New Year!