Chapter 36

LEILANI'S POV

What did I do?
What the hell was I thinking...
Christoph can't take care of her.
For all I know, he could hurt her.

I buried my face in my knees, that were brought up to my chest as I cried silently.
Life started to feel a lot less meaningful. I gave the only meaningful thing... The only meaningful person to some monster that cared for nothing but his Mafia.
As hurt as I was I couldn't bring myself to hate him.

"Leilani."
I jumped off the old couch, "how the fuck did you get in?!" I let out, alarmed.
"Leilani." He repeat as he took a few steps towards me.
"C-Christoph stay away." He stopped when he noticed my erratic breathing.
"I won't hurt you."
"W-what more do you want?" I shuddered.
"You." Thick silence filled the room.

"I'm not going anywhere with you Christoph."
"I'm not dying to have you Kaele, I'm here because Allegra needs you."
"If you can't take care of her then return her, I'm not going anywhere with you."
"Do not force me to take drastic measures Leilani."

My chest rose and fell slowly, as I watched his every move, not once did he take his eyes off of me.
I took a step back and ran to my bedroom, locking the door.

I stood afar watching the door, listening for footsteps but it was quite. My breathing was currently the loudest sound in the room, I rummaged through the room in search of a phone---- anything I could use to call for help.

The sound of a gun shot sent me to my knees and I hid using my bed as a shield, stupid crazy man.
He shot the door open.

He walked towards me pulled me, up by the hand, "you made me do this." His voice gravelly, he uttered before throwing me over his shoulder and carrying me out.
"Christoph, are you crazy, you can't just do whatever you fucking please, Put me down Christoph...!" I yelled hitting him on the back as I tried to pull away from him.

We met one of my neighbors on our way down, she gawked at us and Christoph merely smiled at her, like what he was doing was normal.

"Christoph.." he sat me in his car and cuffed my wrists before securing me in place with a seat belt.
"You're insane."
"And you're quite stubborn." He shut the door and made his way to the driver's seat.

We pulled up at the facade of a villa.
He helped me out of the car, took his jacket off and put it over me. As we walked in he handed the keys the the valet.

"We will be leaving for Calabasas tomorrow." He said ushering me into his rented home.
I looked at the floor, silent.
"Some things will have to come undone." He said walking ahead of me.

I follow him, staying close. A little person ran towards us and hugged my legs, "mummy.." she let out, smiling up at me.
"My hands Christoph" I said, flashing the hand cuffs, still on my wrist... He set me free and I picked up my little sugar plum and gave her a kiss.
She laid on my chest, her eyes on Christoph, my eyes on Christoph, as he just stood there watching us.
"It's really late, I'll put her to sleep."
The house help led the way to her room.

Allegra was finally asleep, I laid besides her wondering what was next. I sat up and there was Christoph leaning on the door frame... Watching.
How long was he standing there.
I made sure, Allie was warm before I got out of bed.

"Why didn't you tell me?"
"Tell you what?" I retorted sarcastically.
"I missed three years of my daughter's life..."
"And who's fault is that?!" I let out angrily, forgetting Allegra was asleep a few inches away.
"I know my actions led to this Leilani, I should have been more patient with you."
"Things of the past can't be changed, we ought to move on."

He bridged the distance between us, "a lot had changed since you left..."
"Things are bound to change." I had my guard up so high there was no way I'd let him hurt me for a second time.

"You evoked certain emotions I never thought I was capable of feeling." I looked up at him, "you made me feel less of a beast,  in you I found everything I lost and everything I need.." My heart pounded like crazy against my chest as our lips slightly grazed each other, my body shudder against his, I couldn't let him this close, our lips grazed once more and I abruptly pulled away, breathing so heavily that I couldn't contain my emotions and I turned away, "please go." I said shakily, tearing up.

Part of me wanted to hug him so tight and never let him go, the other wanted to run, run so far for he is to never have access to my heart like that ever again. Opening myself up to him would be welcoming pain all over again, I'm still healing and I need to be strong for both me and Allegra.

He already made it clear that the mafia came before me, I am nothing but a debt negotiation for a debt that may never be paid off but in reality I'm paying with my life.
And in no way has he changed that.