DUI

"Roll your window down." The cop mouthed, pointing at the window.

Hailee blinked slowly, her reaction timing much slower than a sober persons.

She fumbled around in the Range Rover, finally finding the window controls.

"HI'm officer Dow with the Buffalo Police Department, can I see your license and registration please?" The cop asked for politely.

Hailee nodded slowly and reached over into the passenger seat, digging around in her purse for her license.

"Where are ya headed to?" The cop asked, trying to see if she could speak.

"...home." She muttered in response.

"Where's home?"

She shrugged.

"Where are you coming from?"

"Wayland." She murmured.

"What's your address?"

She shrugged again before pulling out her license. She handed it to him before leaning over and opening the glove compartment.

"Insurance?" She asked, forgetting already.

"Yeah, I'll take that too. But I need your car registration." He answered.

The more she talked the more he could smell the alcohol on her.

"Mkay..." She muttered again, digging around once more.

"I dunno know wha that looks like..." She slurred slightly.

"It's right there, by your hand." He pointed.

"Oh..."

She grabbed it and shoved it into his hands before adjusting her tank top. She couldn't for the life of her remember where she had put her hoodie.

"What's your name?"

"...Hai." She answered.

"Hai? Your license says Hailee. Is Hai your nickname?" He asked.

She shook her head.

Another cop came up behind him and took her information from him to start running it.

"Why don't you step out of the car for me, please?" Officer Dow told her, backing up from the door so she could open it.

She huffed softly before unbuckling her seatbelt and opening the door.

He watched as she stumbled slightly before shutting the door behind her after she got out.

"I'm going to have you stand behind your car, okay? So, I'm smelling alcohol on you. How much have you had to drink tonight?"

"...none very much." She shrugged.

"How much is not very much?"

"Like 1..."

"Based on the amount I'm smelling from you and the way your reaction time is so delayed, I would say it's more than 1. You can be honest."

"3 or 4." She answered, staring out of space.

The cop sighed.

"License says Los Angeles but I ran her information and she seems to live here in Orchard Park. No prior charges of any sort too." The other cop said to him quietly.

Officer Dow nodded in response.

"Do you live in California or New York?" He asked.

"...both." She murmured.