Epilogue: New Endings

Daithi had been a reaper now for two years, and fuck was it insane. Tyler had explained everything, his past, how he'd gotten turned, their powers. Whenever Tyler mentioned his dad, he was actually talking about Aöden, as his biological parents had passed away over 80 years before.

Daithi's first assignment had been an elderly woman in her death bed. Tyler stood next to him, Daithi watching from a shadow mirage Tyler said they used to make sure no one ever saw them.

Daithi waited till last possible second, wanting her whole family to be able to give their goodbyes. She'd smiled at her son, squeezing his hand weakly as she'd said, "I've had a good life. I'm ready now."

That was when Tyler had nudged Daithi forward, an encouraging smile on his lips. Daithi had gently taken her hand, her eyes closing gently and a soft smile on her lips.

She'd appeared next to Daithi, a young woman again. "Thank you, I felt you waiting. I really am grateful you let me say goodbye," she'd told him softly and Daithi had smiled faintly back at her.

"You and them deserved the closure. Are you ready to go?" He asked her softly and she had nodded, giving her son and granddaughter one last lingering smile before turning away.

Tyler had shown Daithi where spirits went after death. It was mostly like a subway, and every spirit had a ticket form inside their pocket to give the "conductor" to let him know what kind of life they'd lived and believed in.

Reapers were neutral. They technically worked for every deity out there, because all religions or beliefs or cultures had death.

Daithi still got to live a normal life though. He got to hug his friends, he still went to school, he still had work. He'd told his boss everything that had happened, his attack, his change, and his boss had been understanding and sympathetic.

Daithi got to keep his job, his boss just insisting on him securing his gloves a bit better around his wrists so they never got caught and fell off. He'd done so immediately, and still worked at the little store now 2 years later.

Only thing he hadn't done yet was tell Séan. He'd told Séan that Lui had ended up being a really bad person and nearly killed him, but Tyler saved his life again and that he was okay.

But how did he tell Séan what he was? He knew Séan knew something was different, as the last few times he'd visited Daithi had the gloves on. But his best friend had never shied away.

He'd also grown close to Daithi's other friends, giving them hugs or handshakes, joking comfortably with them. He'd even accepted Tyler easily, especially after Daithi had told him they'd finally gotten together.

Yep, together. Today was the 2 year anniversary of the whole showdown, and Séan was down visiting again. Daithi knew Tyler was planning something, but he had no idea what.

Séan had shown up the day before, grinning excitedly. Tyler had pushed Daithi out the door that morning, telling them to go hang out because he had some things to do.

Currently, Daithi, Séan, Brian and Evan were roaming the town, trying to find someplace to kill the time. Séan seemed more excitable than usual, skipping up and down the road with Brian pushing him around.

"So Evan. What's going on?" Daithi asked the dryad casually. He felt a spark of amusement at the startled look on Evan's face, his quick glance at Brian and Séan.

"Nothings going on, I don't know what you're talking about," Evan said quickly and Daithi rolled his eyes. "You are, the worst liar I know," he said amused and Evan gave him an offended look.

"I'm not saying shit, and you can't make me," he said stubbornly and Daithi laughed. "Are you interrogating Evan? That's just low," Brian said amused, Evan giving him a begging look.