41) Savages

The feeling of flying in the air.
The cold wind slapping my cheeks.
The warm sun rays trying to please me.

I felt a mixture of delight and fear but I tried my best to stay on the griffin. Aimon wouldn't even notice if I fell. He was like a rock Laziem had planted, just stood there in front of me with his back to me.

   "We're about to go through the boundary," Aimon announced, his focus still fixed ahead.

   "Okay!" I yelled against the wind.

The griffin flew higher and higher towards the sky. Only then did I notice the flickering purple-golden light. It was like a large bubble that glowed in the two colors, exchanging them simultaneously to create a unique phenomenon.

   It had to be the boundary between heaven and...hell.

As we went closer, my chest started feeling constricted and then relaxed. It went on like that until we went through the portal.
  For a few seconds, I felt as if every bone in my body was being ripped out, my skin peeled off and then put together. The pain made me cry. It made me want to stab my chest and end my life, if that was possible.

    All of a sudden, all that torment vanished. There was no pain in my body. Not even a trace of it.

The air had changed. There was a purple fog blinding our vision, making it nearly impossible to see ahead. I looked up at the rock of a being standing, he still held his majestic posture, as if telling me how pathetic I was. I was a goddess, I should have had more tolerance than what I had just displayed in the portal.

   I wondered if Laziem or Hades would have just stood there without comforting me as Aimon! Laziem maybe, but Hades might have at least held my hand.

     "The air is full of miasma," Aimon's sudden explanation caught me off guard but I pretended to follow along.

"What does it do? Is it poisonous?"

   The rock glanced back from the corner of his eye. At least that was a reaction, even though he held a demeaning spec in that glance. "Yes. But not to you."

  Oh right, because I was from the Yin, and hell was created by my big sister. Ha! That sounded cheeky. Hesphone was a great figure in the history of the gods. Even though she did go against the laws of existence, she might have been a great ruler to have created such a world where other beings could live. If she was that bad, she could have destroyed both heaven and hell.

     I took a calming breath and caged my thoughts from running wild. Who was I to judge the primordial gods? I was still a baby compared to their long lives.

As we continued flying in whichever direction Aimon was directing the griffin, a wave of energy fluctuated from a distance. I felt it deep in my chest like a hand was reaching out to my soul.
It left me breathless my breathing came out ragged and so painful.

   What was that?

"Aimon?"

"Yes?" He offered me his attention out of maybe respect.

  "Can we go-" I pointed to my left, "-that way?"

The male placed a finger on his forehead and shut his eyes. A purple light started swirling around his head till it was all absorbed in his forehead.
   His eyes split open, a disapproving expression masking his face. "That is the sacred land of the underworld. Outsiders are forbidden from entering it."

   My heart fell. "But why?"

"That is where the sacred Yin tree grows."

Yin tree?
That sounded, precious. Of course, outsiders wouldn't be allowed to go to such an important place.