ch.10

Minji has no idea how Hanni managed to persuade the doctor into allowing her to go outside. It all started with a simple daily check-up, and a simple question from Hanni,
"Can I go out?"

The doctor allows her without any hesitation whatsoever, to Minji 's absolute confusion.

She notes in her mind to ask the doctor about it once they go back to the hospital.

Here they are in their usual Saturday spot, the only difference being Hanni in a hospital gown and an oxygen tank beside her like it was her life battery.
"You're dedicated." Minji hooks her arm around Hanni's shoulder, letting the girl rest on her chest.

"I'm not letting anything stop our Saturdays." She pronounces the sixth day of the week, lightly slapping Minji's thigh with each syllable.

Minji chuckles, "You're good at acting like you aren't suffering." Hanni draws back from leaning on her chest, a face of displeasure evident as she stares into her eyes.

"I'm not suffering-" and it's hilarious how the universe seemed to pull the rug from
underneath her feet, because she immediately coughs after, making Minji cackle.

"Yeah. Totally." She snickers, and Hanni purposely dives her head heavily on its place back on Minji's chest.

"Ow-hey!" Minji tries to push her head away but Hanni only clings closer, sliding her
arms around her waist so she wouldn't be detached.

After minutes of shuffling and shoving each other like a bunch of elementary schoolers, it dwindles down, and they eventually realize that they're in public.

Not like they care much, though. The wind blows, the ocean waves make a noise which brings comfort to Minji's ears.

Hanni hums to a song that she knows but doesn't remember the name of. It looks like a typical Saturday, they both acted like it was, but deep down inside, the both of them are aware of how they're intentionally trying to ignore what life's throwing at their faces.

"You see..."

"Hanni-"

They chuckle, though it was bittersweet. Hanni hugs her tighter, and from that, Minji
already has an idea of what she was about to say.

"I'm just- I just have no other choice. It's not like I'm gonna miraculously heal and live the next day like I never got so sick. What's the point in crying over it, right?" Minji hums, urging her to continue.

"So I tell myself to live every day like it's my last. I always remind myself that I only get to cry when I have someone to blame it on, but who should I blame for getting pulmona- whatever this sickness is? My dad, grandmother? My ancestors? Of course not, it's not like

they forced themselves to have heart problems. I guess we're all really unlucky with genes."

"You'll get through this, just like your dad did." Minji knows she sounds stupid, but she really wants to do everything to keep Hanni going.

"We don't know Minji," Hanni lets out another bittersweet chuckle. "I might even die
tomorrow, who knows?"

She isn't wrong. Minji could only sigh in return. Hanni manages to hear it, and she leans away to look at her.

"Thank you." She takes one of Minji's hands that wasn't around her, idly playing with her fingers, "I didn't expect you to sacrifice your own time just to take care of me. You could've let my parents adjust their schedules, you know? I'm sor-"

"No. Don't even say that word. I'm doing this for every single one of us. As we all said, we're family right?" Minji cradles her cheek, softly running her thumb against her skin.

Hanni pouts and her lower lip suddenly gets wobbly, making Minji slightly panic.

"What- did I say something wrong?"
And it makes Hanni laugh and tear up at the same time. "No, dumbass!" She launches herself into Minji's arms, the other girl warmly reciprocating her hug. Then they pull away with idiotic smiles on their faces.

Minji didn't know how they ended up like this, doesn't know who started it, but she
realizes they're kissing, with Hanni clutching and grabbing a handful of her hoodie in the process, as if she would disappear if she ever let go. The same goes for Minji, her arms around Hanni's smaller frame, holding her close as the both of them kiss each other with mixed-up
emotions. None of them cared about people watching them in the park anymore.
They're both catching their breaths as they pull away, and now, Hanni is really crying, which eventually made Minji giggle.

"Let's go back, Han." She stands up and Hanni follows, walking back to Minji's car to go to the hospital.

"I'll be okay." Is what Hanni says during the ride back to the facility.

__________