Ch.20

TWO YEARS, FOUR MONTHS

"What...?" She can't believe what she'd heard. Hanni has to be kidding.

"That doesn't sound like a positive response." Her girlfriend chuckles, and Minji laughs, but it was obvious enough to hear the fakeness of her tone.

"I haven't decided yet ." Hanni articulates, as if it would make anything better. "I'll discuss it with my doctor, and you don't know, maybe I'll change my mind."

Minji's too speechless, the idea never passed her brain, ever.

Hanni wanted to sign a DNR. She didn't want to get resuscitated. She didn't want to be revived if she ever got into an accident that could result in her dying. Hanni would basically accept natural death, and Minji doesn't know how she should be reacting to that.

"W-what made you think of signing...such a thing." She stutters, pauses, hesitates, and
everything else. Too shocked to even function.

Hanni pouts, like it wasn't any of a big deal at all, and it sort of makes Minji concerned.

"It's practical, and realistic. If I'm already suffering enough from my sickness then I don't
see why I have to be resuscitated and continue on living like that. It's better to pass already than live in pain."

The other hums, she doesn't feel comfortable talking about this right now. The thought of
Hanni going and no one desperately trying to save her horrifies Sooyoung.

"I'm- I'm just going to fix something...in our- um, bathroom." She doesn't bother finishing her plate, standing up and already heading there.

Hanni also doesn't seem to notice what Minji feels, "Oh? Yeah sure, I almost forgot the
sink was broken! Do you need help with it? I can assist you-"
"No!" Minji responds too quickly, "I mean- you can't be moving a lot due to your
condition, I'll handle it by myself. I don't want you getting into an accident."

Hanni seems to have noticed Minji's sudden shift of mood, but she doesn't push further.
She isn't even doing what she initially went to do. The sink is still broken, and the toolbox is closed. Heck, even the cabinet that contained the pipes of where the faucet water traveled was shut. All she's doing right now is sitting on top of the closed toilet seat, spacing out, letting
the silence eat her up alive.

Minji wants to laugh at herself for seeming so dramatic. She does look dramatic. In fact, she knows others would tell that she's exaggerating.

But that isn't the point at all.

Minji can't even handle the thought of Hanni signing a DNR contract with the doctor, so imagine how worse it is for her when it comes to the point where she pictures Hanni dying and no one's there to save her. It's horrible.

She wants to turn back time and rewind everything, to the moments when Hanni's sickness hasn't shown itself yet. Minji wants to keep repeating those events, and it irks her when reality hits, knowing that doing such a
thing was impossible.

The little drops from the broken faucet distracts her, and she sighs, slackly opening the toolbox and finally reverting her attention back to what needed to be fixed.

It's been a good twenty minutes of Minji taking the huge pipes out and cleaning them off until she gets startled by three gentle knocks on the door.

"Yeah?" Minji shouts, head only turning to the source of the sound, her eyes and hands still occupied with cleaning.

Hanni answers after a slight long pause filled with quietness, "Why'd you have to lock the door? Aren't you only fixing the sink?"

Minji gulps, the faint memory of what she had just been doing just minutes ago making her uncomfortable.