ch.12

It would be rude of Minji to not go to work for a whole month. She does submit her files and requirements while she stays with Hanni in the hospital, yet she knows that she still somehow has to at least go to her office once in a while. Her boss wasn't that much older than her, and she was completely nice, for the fact that they used to study in the same university.

This makes Minji even feel more guilt, not wanting her boss to think that she's using
their friendship as an advantage to stay in the hospital. She wasn't anyway, she's definitely not that type.
"You've been submitting all the reports before my deadlines. I don't see why you have to stay here, now that your girlfriend probably needs you." The voice catches Minji off-guard.

Minji spun her swivel chair to see her boss leaning on one of the frames of her desk area
that covered her from the other workers, her chin resting on her hands.

"Good afternoon uh- Ms. Hwang." She awkwardly stands up from her seat, doing a complete ninety-degree bow as some form of apology for how long she's been out.

"Good afternoon, Ms. Kim," her boss laughs, entering Minji's space and sitting on a free chair she finds hiding under her desk. "But right now, I wish to talk to Minji. I'm not here for work-related crap today." She chuckles.

The said name raises her eyebrows, though the
meaning and intention of her manager's words sink in, making her sigh deeply, "Yeji, I'm- I just-"
"Hey, hey, it's alright, sit down. Take it slow, I'm not expecting an immediate explanation from you." Yeji comforts her through pats on her back.

Minji chuckles to ease herself, "I apologize. Everything's been difficult lately. Her
brother's over today so I took the chance to get here..."
Yeji hums, listening to Minji's words.

"Besides, it would be really rude of me to not go to work while the others are stuck at their desks, it's unfair." Minji grabs her tumbler from the desk and downs her water to further calm herself down.
"Now who told you that? Minji , your girlfriend is extremely sick , and you have every right to worry and take care of her! It would be rude of me to reject a leave from an employee who has a loved one suffering. You know I'm not like that."
Yeji's right. Ever since Minji had asked for numerous absences when Hanni got ill, she never complained and even asked her girlfriend's current state whenever she called.

Minji even remembers Yeji herself encouraging her to file more absences just so she could spend more time with Hanni. She may be her boss, but in the end, they're still friends who look out for each other.
"How is she? Is she getting better?" Yeji asks in complete concern, like she usually does.

"Well, I wish." Minji tries to stop herself from tearing up, moving her swivel chair back to her desk and forcefully reading a file on her laptop.
Her boss only stares at her in concern, and could not help but pity everyone, from Hanni and her family to Minji. No one deserves to suffer like this.

"Don't be so hard on yourself, Minji. You'll just put yourself through it twice if you worry like that. I'll be requesting a transfer of your major tasks to myself. You should have
hope."

Minji turns in surprise, "What- no! I can still do-" she's about to stand up until Yeji pushes her back down on her chair by the shoulders.
"Go to the hospital. Stay with Hanni. Make the most out of it." Yeji tells her, which sounds more like an order, and she leaves Minji's office without muttering another word.

Minji doesn't know if she should feel guilty or grateful. She then gets startled when she receives a ring on her phone. Someone was calling her, and it was Jungwon.
And it's like Yeji envisioned what would happen, like the galaxy does this to her on purpose, timing all the events in her life in a certain order that catches her off-guard every single time.

Minji wants to know what mistake she made for the creator of the world to play with her life like this.
"She's in a what?!" Minji whisper-screams, not even bothering to fix her desk and only taking her car keys out of the office building.

"I said she got transferred to a ventilator!" Jungwon speaks louder, "her condition got- please just come back here Minji..."

________