Ch.19

The couple stares at each other, fear shared between them. Both have their ears planted against Hanni's bedroom door, trying to hear the conversation occuring downstairs.

Jungwon agreed with Minji's suggestion of telling his parents everything. He had arrived back home to the Pham family’s home an hour after Hanni and Minji visited.
“I can’t hear a word!” Hanni angrily whispers, and Minji shushes her, trying to form the muffled sentences through the door.

Minji listens more, and the two still don’t understand anything until Hanni's father speaks a little louder this time, “You still should have told us, Pham Jungwon!”

“D-dad…I said I was just too-”

“And you’re shameless, asking Minji to help you out! Just because she’s your sister’s girlfriend doesn’t mean you get to ask her favors like-”

Hanni interrupts and suddenly grabs Minji's hands, and she ends up unable to hear the complete end of his sentence, “He’s using full names now, what are we supposed to do?!” She panics.

Minji acts out of instinct, rising from her sitting position, causing Hanni to get dragged up as well from their intertwined hands, and she opens the door strongly with a whoosh so loud that the three turn their heads towards her.

“Mr. Pham, please don’t say that to Jungwon.” Minji awkwardly bows in apology, “I actually was the one who suggested to tutor him-”

“Oh, Min.” He swats his hands, “I know you consider us your family but this time,
Jungwon is not your responsibility. You have a job and a girlfriend. You’ve already put in so much effort when Hanni was in the hospital.”

“I insist.”She answers firmly.

“Jungwon can save time right now, he doesn’t need to look for other tutors when I’m right here. I also believe he’ll be much more comfortable when he’s being taught by someone he knows personally.”

Minji ignores the slight tug on the hem of her sleeve, as well as Hanni whispering her
name.

When no one talks back, Minji gulps before speaking up again. “I’ve earned top marks in my college years.
I had a 4.0 GPA. I was cum laude in my graduating class. I know I’m more than qualified to assist Jungwon. I still have my medals stored, I can show them to you as
proof.” Minji inhales as she lowers her head, somewhat embarrassed for her statement coming off as a brag, but it wasn’t. She really wanted to convince their parents.

Minji fails to notice the shock written on everyone else’s faces, including from her own girlfriend.

“ Cum laude , and you were your university’s top player in women’s basketball? Wow, just- wow .” Hanni lies on their bed, staring at the ceiling. The couple was finally back in the comfort of their home.

Meanwhile, Minji just chuckles, cleaning her desk, too embarrassed to speak.
“Why didn’t you hang your medals and certificates on the wall, then? You never even told me about this too! I never knew I had such a perfect girlfriend!” Hanni shuffles on their bed, aggressively hugging the pillow next to her and squealing in excitement.

“Perfect is too much.” Minji changes into a much more comfortable t-shirt before lying down beside Hanni. “I still was a douchebag at some point. All my senses went to university, nothing was left out for me to apply in my social life. Ended up losing Danielle at that.” She jokes, and Hanni laughs.

“Now that you’ve mentioned it, those titles didn’t matter anymore. Image tarnished.”
“Hey!” Minji whines and protests, throwing little punches on her girlfriend’s shoulder.